Author Topic: Straightening Out Some Terminology  (Read 3470 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Straightening Out Some Terminology
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
Jim Kibler,

As an aside to this whole discussion, for years I heard people / builders complain about poor quality kits, especially in the partially shaped stocks (inlets too big, inlets in the wrong place, barrel inlet too sloppy, too much wood in some places, too little wood in others, poor piece of wood to start with, etc., etc.  See the recent discussion about lock placement on a Ferguson.) 

Now we seem to have some who complain that the available kits are too good...i.e. all the parts are top quality, the stock is precisely inlet, and the whole thing actually fits together like its supposed to... and it doesn't get shipped in a used cardboard box padded with an old pork chop wrapper but in a well designed wooden crate.

Just my opinion, but keep up the great work and don't look back.  But to qualify my opinion, I wouldn't take any advice from me or anyone else who has not done, or at least attempted, to do what you are doing.  (I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but I really, really want to order one of your colonial rifle kits... :))

All the best.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 10:37:35 PM »
Brilliant observation that kits are not good enough, and now they are too good.

It goes back to the eleventh commandment, where it was written in stone: Thou Shalt not be able to please Everyone.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 01:14:27 AM »
Some value the finished product and aren’t concerned about how it was achieved while the process is much more important to others.  Nothing wrong with either.  As I said, I think there’s room for all of us.  Are some threatened in some way?  I really don’t understand the passionate opposition.

Jim

I've wanted to build a Ky. long rifle for over 20 years, always been in the back of my mind but life kept getting in the way. Last year I decided I wasn't getting any younger and with time speeding by as fast as light itself it was time to do something about it. Last year I built a nice room/workshop (I call it the swamp) on the back of the house. I bought 2 kits and assembled them in the swamp. Both are not works of art but something I feel proud to pass down to my kids and grandchildren.

I enjoyed doing both kits but to be honest by the time I got everything inletted and set (which took awhile) on each rifle I would get in a rush carving and finishing just to get it done....that's bad.

I now have the option to assemble a kit fairly quickly and spend more time on the carving and finishing which I like more. As time goes on I feel the passion for building/learning about these rifles will get deeper and deeper with a stick build or two in the future.

Just one view from "South of Salt River".
aka “digger658”