Author Topic: J*MC & Company smooth rifle  (Read 3551 times)

Offline cshirsch

J*MC & Company smooth rifle
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »
I have this smooth-rifle that is marked on the barrel, P*M*C & (Co.). Unfortunately someone before me overcleaned the wood and the brass.  Has anyone figured out what these initials represent?  It's seems to be an early 1800s gun but I have not been able to find out what company this is.  Anyone???

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:34:42 PM by cshirsch »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: PMC & Company smooth rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 12:45:01 AM »
I think the initials are probably  "J M C."  Nice looking gun with striking color in the flame maple. Shelby Gallien

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »
Could that striping be faux, the blobs at the comb look unnatural.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
Could that striping be faux, the blobs at the comb look unnatural.

It's real, someone did a very poor job of cleaning the wood. Way too much.  I will eventually help it out.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »
To Me it is a right PERT piece.   Makes me break that Thou Shalt Not  Covet thingy
    Bob Reader 

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
J M C & co,  probably J M Cooper & company , Pittsburgh PA

James Mercer Cooper 1809 -1872
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:10:27 PM by Avlrc »

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 02:32:46 AM »
J M C & co,  probably J M Cooper & company , Pittsburgh PA

James Mercer Cooper 1809 -1872

I am pretty sure it is a P, not a J.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:34:44 AM by cshirsch »

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 06:23:21 AM »
You are welcome.  But a "P" is usually  done in two lines something like the scribble I did  below.  A "J" is done in one continuous line like the first letter on your rifle. I  wonder if Cooper made rifles or just stamped his name on them?    I have seen some revolvers that where stamped by him, or his company.  They were  later than your rifle.  Maybe some Western Pennsylavnia Rifle collector on here could add info on him. I might be wrong, won't be the first time.   Nice rifle & thanks for posting.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:42:08 AM by Avlrc »

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 03:24:38 PM »
You are welcome.  But a "P" is usually  done in two lines something like the scribble I did  below.  A "J" is done in one continuous line like the first letter on your rifle. I  wonder if Cooper made rifles or just stamped his name on them?    I have seen some revolvers that where stamped by him, or his company.  They were  later than your rifle.  Maybe some Western Pennsylavnia Rifle collector on here could add info on him. I might be wrong, won't be the first time.   Nice rifle & thanks for posting.

Could be.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 01:16:37 AM »
I don't think this made by Cooper.  There is not indication, from my studies, that he actually built rifles.  The first letter may very well be a J.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 02:41:59 AM »
As someone with no small amount of experience in engraving in the 18th and 19th century style - that is 100% a "J".  Neat rifle even if it was overcleaned - it's got character.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
Thanks!

As someone with no small amount of experience in engraving in the 18th and 19th century style - that is 100% a "J".  Neat rifle even if it was overcleaned - it's got character.

Offline Longknife

Re: J*MC & Company smooth rifle
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 05:43:24 PM »
 Caswell, J M, Lansingburgh NY, There is some disagreement over which of the Caswells used the J M signature, James or John. Both were gunsmiths. Most authorities use John as the most as the most likely as he produced large numbers of guns according to the 1850 census.

Caswell, James, Lansingburgh NY

Caswell John M. Lansingburgh NY 1812-1850. Model 1808 contract muskets marked JMC

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:50:06 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:26:15 PM »
It's possible it was made by John M. Caswell.  This gun does not resemble the later work of the Caswells, 

Caswell, J M, Lansingburgh NY, There is some disagreement over which of the Caswells used the J M signature, James or John. Both were gunsmiths. Most authorities use John as the most as the most likely as he produced large numbers of guns according to the 1850 census.

Caswell, James, Lansingburgh NY

Caswell John M. Lansingburgh NY 1812-1850. Model 1808 contract muskets marked JMC

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
Also John Caswell made many of his own locks during his early years, and marked them with a stamp. This being a converted flintlock, it would be likely his own lock, and marked as such.

Hungry Horse

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
OK, I examined the lock again and I forgot that it is marked.  I am pretty sure it reads DELAVAN.  There were Delavans in New York City and Pittsburgh.  I once owned a militia musket with a Delavan lock.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 11:42:51 PM »
I was flipping through one of my longrifle books and ran across another rifle by this same maker.  Behold, The Longrifle listed it as HMC & Company but I doubt that the first letter is an H.  Unfortunately they did not include a photo of the signature.  It is good to see another by the maker, though.  Same patchbox, cheek piece and cheek piece inlay.  The checkered wrist is a New York trait.  Still not sure until I find definite proof.  Still looking. 

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 06:08:23 PM »
I now have seen two other rifles that are described as being signed, HMC & Co.  I still have not seen the actual signature on either.  This is getting rather confusing.  I will keep looking for more information.