Author Topic: Missouri rifle???  (Read 1560 times)

umc1984

Missouri rifle???
« on: August 15, 2018, 02:12:39 AM »
I recently bought a percussion half stock that is thought to be a Missouri gun. Possibly by Berger.

The barrel is 41" long, just under 1" across the flats and .40 caliber.

The stock is of an interesting design where the  flats around the back action lock sweep back into and through the butt of the stock.

It has no noticeable barrel markings.

I have the book by Victor Paul on the Missouri makers, and it has very little information in his rifles other than a couple of pictures.

Anyone out there knowledgeable on Missouri rifles and/or Bergner rifles I would appreciate your input.

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Missouri rifle???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 03:17:48 AM »
I don't know the maker, but he was a creative guy.  Lock panels back to the butt plate, bat wings on the rear sight and 5 groove rifling.  He marched to his own drummer.  Cool rifle.  I like it.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:27:52 AM »
On page 125 of Whiskers paperback Missouri book, they are four rifles made by George Bergner.  One is a full stock  & the remaining half stocks.  The trigger guards on the half stocks are nearly identical to the one you have. The barrel keys & pewter end cap are the same as well.   

George Bergner , 1830-1905 Gunsmith Washington , Franklin County, In the papers of U S Provost Marshal for Missouri there is a petition signed  by 20 names that George Bergner , gunsmith is loyal to the Union.  George etterle, gunsmith lived with Bergner.  Bergner held many patents related to firearms.

Henry Bergner. gunsmith, Washington, Franklin County.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:57:41 AM »
James Gordon published a book awhile back that had several Missouri Rifles in it.  I can't remember but he may have a Bergner/Berger rifle in it.  My memory is shot, can't remember the name of the book. Heck, he might even have one in his museum. 

Offline louieparker

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
I have know of that maker since 1970.  Have seen several of his guns. All very much alike. None are signed that I know of. I do believe they were made in the area around Union and Washington  Mo.. I don't think they are Bergner but can't tell you who ...LP