Author Topic: Picked up a new pea shooter in Pa.  (Read 3069 times)

Big Ralph

Picked up a new pea shooter in Pa.
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:00:12 PM »
Hi Everyone. I picked up a cap lock yesterday that needs some work but is a nice little gun. I will take pictures as soon as I can but has anyone ever heard of a maker by the name of G. Schalk from Pottsville Pa.? That's what is marked on the lock. It is a half stock bull barrel target rifle I believe. Thanks for any help.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Picked up a new pea shooter in Pa.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
George Schalk 1820-1893. Gunsmith. Pottsville,Schuykill County. Census of 1860, he is listed as 34, merchant gunsmith, value, 2000.00, Sophia 34.
1863 Civil War draft, George Schalk 39, gunsmith.
1870 census more of the same, except 3000.00 property value, 1500.00 personal.
1890 census listed as a Gunsmith age 65.
Schalk's measurments for number of lead balls per pound has been universally accepted.
Died October 1893 burried Charles baber Cemetery, Pottsville.
All of the above info is from Whiskers, paperback  " Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen of Eastern Pennsylvania"

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:00:08 PM »
He built some of the best bench guns around. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Big Ralph

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »
Are his guns very collectable or not so much. I am wondering if I should do a little repair work on it or just leave it alone. I really would like to shoot it but I have to try and find out what caliber it is. I know it is quite a bit smaller then a 44 cal. round ball.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:14:38 PM »
Very collectable.  Don't do anything to it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Big Ralph

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 04:56:52 AM »
I'll post some pics but it is in pretty rough shape. Barrel is spot rusted, trigger guard is broken, front sight missing, part of the back peep sight is gone. It hasn't been loved in a long long time. I don't think I can hurt it much more. LOL

Offline Kevin

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 04:30:19 AM »
"The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle" by Ned H. Roberts has about a couple of pages about George Schalk/Schalck and some fine shooting done with his rifles in the late 19th century.  Two of his rifles are pictures and there is a photo of him as well.

Decades ago, as a teenager I cleaned up some guns for a family friend after the death of her husband and one of them was a Schalck target rifle.  I do not know what became of the rifle. It was not sold at the sale of his guns and related equipment.

Kevin

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 12:09:13 AM »
"Google" George Schalk. There is a wealth of information about him available on line. He was considered amongst the finest makers of target shooting rifles of his time.
I have a fine, well "furnished" flint lock that he made, barrel signed. Have seen no others, other than a few pictures. Love to see yours. I will add mine tomorrow.
Hurricane

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
Barrel Stamped: George Schalk   Flint Lock, Target rifle

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:26:19 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »
What a rifle!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Big Ralph

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »
Thanks for all the info so far on this gun. I have a friend who is working on repairing this gun and want to know if there are any pictures on line of the shape of the trigger guards he used. This one is broken in half and the piece is gone. I will get  some pics soon.  My gun looks like a Hawken rifle not like the flintlock rifle that was posted. I guess he made several different style guns in his time. Lock has his name and address and so does the barrel. Thanks

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 01:22:40 AM »
Is this the same Schalk that was involved with Harry Pope and some of those target shooters in the 1870's?