Author Topic: shot pattern  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Jerry

shot pattern
« on: August 16, 2018, 01:50:26 AM »
Would like to pass along some 28 gauge smoothbore shot pattern results. I received some valuable load information from Skychief. I had not been able to get a good shot pattern until now. Yesterday at our local range I posted a printed turkey head target a 25 yds. Loaded with the "Skychief Special." That is 60 grains 2fg, Nitro (1/8 thick card), 1 ounce #4 shot followed by a .032 over shot card, then a 1/2" long fiber wad soaked with olive oil. I placed 10 #4 shot in the kill zone on the printed turkey target.

Offline Semisane

Re: shot pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 02:58:48 AM »
That's really excellent results Jerry. I've seen lots of similar reports with Skychief's olive oil soaked wad method. I haven't tried it yet in my double barrels, but I sure will before our spring turkey season.
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:31:13 AM »
Those turkeys don't have a chance now Jerry. ;D

Thanks for asking about and trying the load. Thanks even more for sharing your great results here.  Maybe others will benefit too.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try Skychief's load but will do it before I even think about Maine turkey hunting.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »
#4 shot worked good for me. I haven't tried any other size shot. Probably will be #6 shot next.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »
hanshi, I've not tried it, but would bet the load would take lobster quite well too (if the water is shallow enough) ;)

Best regards, Skychief

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 11:40:48 PM »
What is the function of the 1/2 inch soaked wad in front of every thing, is it to keep the fouling soft?

Offline Jerry

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 01:00:46 AM »
smylee grouch, I would like to direct your question to Skychief. I only know the "Skychief Special" works. Olive oil to keep excessive fowling and prevent donut hole shot patterns. How about it Skychief?

Offline Skychief

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 01:34:57 AM »
Sure.  It'll keep fouling soft.  I've shot dozens of shots with no need for any swabbing.

That said,  it's greatest function is making denser patterns out of cylinder bores versus anything else I've tried.  I don't want to go into the  reasons why I believe it makes patterns denser.  There are several pages worth of theories regarding why the load works as well as it does on the "other" forum.

I believe the heavily lubed cushion wad on top of the  load chain does more than one thing for those patterns  but it doesn't really matter in the end.  What matters to me is that it works in my smoothbores.

Best regards, Skychief

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 11:19:43 PM »
hanshi, I've not tried it, but would bet the load would take lobster quite well too (if the water is shallow enough) ;)
Best regards, Skychief

You haven't seen these huge, fierce lobsters up here.  All the natives up here recommend nothing under a .44mag.  If you shoot and wound one they come out of the water like a crocodile!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 01:09:54 AM »
 :o :o :o. Holy smokes partner!  Please be cautious.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »
Anyone try it from a jugged gun yet??

I will try to remember next time I'm out at the patterning board. Still haven't seen great results from my jugged barrel.  25yds is pushing it for a turkey gun IMO.  80ish hits in a 10" circle at 20yds...I was doing over 100 in a 10" circle at 30yds when it was a colerain turkey choke.

Finishing up a build with a turkey choke colerain now...but I'd still love to get the jug shooting better. I've tried nearly everything I could think of...but didn't put a big fiber wad on top of the shot column. Might just work in a jug keeping the pressure on the shot column.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
Mauser06, Keep us informed on your build and shot pattern progress.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »
...but I'd still love to get the jug shooting better.

Mauser, I had trouble with a jug choke in one of my shotguns.  The pattern was worse after jugging than it was before.  I reasoned that after the shot and wad column entered the jug, gas blow-by was stirring up the shot and making it scatter willy-nilly.  The gun is a 12 ga. and I used a 3/4" arc punch to punch wads from a thick piece of leather (which were large enough to obturate the jug).  I load an over-powder wad on top of the powder followed by the leather wad, 1/2 thickness of lubricated cushion wad, shot, and the over-shot wad.  That is a formula that works in my gun.