Author Topic: making an early fowler buttplate  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
making an early fowler buttplate
« on: August 17, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
This was a first for me.  I am building an early fowler for a friend of mine and needed to make the buttplate.  I made it from a piece of 1/8" this sheet brass.  It was a little too heavy to anneal with my torch so I used charcoal for that. I left the stock heavy to I could safely use it as the form.  Lots of beating and banging and it turned out pretty well.  I still have some clean up to do. 

Cory Joe Stewart

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:50:54 PM by Cory Joe Stewart »

Offline KC

Re: making an early fowler buttplate
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:50:32 PM »
That is one big butt. Very interesting, is it based on an original? How early of time period would this be?
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:46:16 PM »
I love it when gunbuilders go outside the box to come up with something interesting and unusual. Then, come up with a solution so they can make it.  Club butt fowlers are beautiful in their own way and you have definitely solved the problem of the buttplate. I appreciate your sharing.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
Looks kinda like that fowler Todd Bitler made, a Dutch gun if I remember.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 01:16:35 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Yes it is Dutch.  It is inspired by an original in Early American Flintlocks.  Bitler did a version of it as well.  The book puts it at early 1700s.  1710 to be exact. 

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 01:26:11 AM »
One thing that is interesting is that everyone who has seen image comments on how big it is.  I made the buttplate on the same width and height of an early Bess.  I think it is somthing about the architecture exaggerates the look.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:56:51 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to handle some originals before you jump into architecture like that.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to handle some originals before you jump into architecture like that.

I have only handled a couple of original fowler's. And only one was even close to this architecture.  Are you seeing something that I need to notice?

Cory

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:43:55 PM »
Cory, do you have " Flintlock Fowlers" by Tom Grinslade, or " Colonial Frontier Guns" by T.M. Hamilton ?   If not, take a good look at them. Perhaps you can get them from your local library.  Lots to see and extremely good stuff if you are into early smoothbores.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:47:56 PM »
Yes I have those.