Author Topic: Relief Castings cleanup??  (Read 1685 times)

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Relief Castings cleanup??
« on: August 17, 2018, 09:24:26 PM »
So I'm beginning a venture into the world of Jaegers and looking at ordering a bunch of cast brass mounts, all with detailed relief scenes and vines cast in the brass.  So just how exactly is the best way to clean up and polish this stuff?  Thought I'd ask before I get into things.  Guessing gravers and scrapers?

I also guess I probably should have waited until after the CLA show so Ron Scott might see this...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Relief Castings cleanup??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »
Gravers and scrapers certainly are useful, especially when detail needs to be recut. 

One product I’ve found to be especially helpful are ceramic “super stones” sold by Gesswein.  These are tiny stones that are mounted in a special, pencil type holder, that allow clean up of very small, intricate designs.  I don’t have the specific link, but if you search “super stones” at Gesswein, you should find them.  They’re in the abrasives section.  They also come in a variety of grits.  They’re not cheap, but I’ve had nice results using them.

Most European mounts also have areas where the background material has been removed and stippled.  Depending on the quality of the casting, this area can look a little rough.  To freshen this area, I’ve had good results utilizing a beading tool.  These are also available through Gesswein.  You can purchase them in sets, or individually.  Typically, I tend to use the smaller sizes, #4, #5, or #6.  The beading tools are used like a punch to gently raise beads in the background areas.  Like the polishing process, it can be tedious work, but gives nice results.

Hope that helps,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
Hi,
In addition to what Ed wrote, the fine grinding stones used in Dremels can be put in a needle or diamond file handle.  When lubricated with mineral or parafin oil, they work very well to clean up rough details.  You can also use diamond burs sold for Dremels and Foredom tools the same way.  Finally, hardwood dowels turned into pencil shapes, then dipped in mineral oil and pumice or rottenstone, will polish relief surfaces quickly.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »
A magnetic centrifugal finisher will take care of it in about 10 minutes. Sold mine after I got out of the jewelry business. Just did not use it enough anymore. Those are expensive machines. A rotary tumbler with stainless steel media will also do the job. You can use a vibrating tumbler with the fine pyramid abrasives. But for a real top of the line job you need to go over the whole thing by hand first. gravers, rifflers, little polishing bits, wood tools carved to shape. The machines do a good job, but for a really good job you just have to put in a lot of time. The beading tools work great for stippling backgrounds. Or use a nail with the point cut off and the end polished.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »
 Take the advise of Ed and Smart dog. Tumbling with any media will ruin the definition. There is no shortcut for fine work. The examples below are all done as Ed and smart dog suggested. These examples are simple ones but they can be done with hammer and chisel as well as graver max or power assisted tools. Forget the Dremel tool. Ignore gold background.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:10:13 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  I almost forgot about riffler files, have a whole stack of them under the bench.  I'll check on the other tools too. 

Long range project, thinking I'll pick away at the castings this winter on the night our building group meets each week.  Something small I can tuck away at a vise and work on and not take room away from the guys that are working on stocks.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"