Author Topic: Can someone help me ID this flintlock rifle?  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Chris_B

Can someone help me ID this flintlock rifle?
« on: August 18, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
I am pretty new to the ALR field and my only "experience" is from books.
I won this rifle at an auction in Germany and guess it has been over here for some time, but know nothing
of it´s history. It is signed *J*K* on the barrel and "Wright" on the lock (at least I think so, it is partially illegible).
I know of several English lock makers of that name and think it is English.
I hope some of you guys can help me to learn more of that gun and beg you to pardon me for being a bad
photographer and to forgive me my far from perfect English.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:20:15 AM by Chris_B »
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Chris_B

Re: Can someone help me ID this flintlock rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »
The barrel length is 38/1/4", overall about 54" and the caliber 13,5mm (0,6"?)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »
Chris,
It looks like something from up around the Lehigh Valley of PA and I know very little about that area but its a nice looking rifle. Love that patch box design.

Is it my eyes, photo or just me but is all of the patchbox finial inletted flush with the wood? It doesn't seem to properly fit this gun but some of the guys better versed on PA rifles can probably tell you more.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »
Upper Susquehanna school

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:08:49 PM »
That is classic upper Susquehanna and exceptionally well made to boot.  I have not particularly focused on the makers in that area other than the Baums, however, so I'm not sure exactly which one it is.  I'm sure someone will be along to put a name to those initials.  Beautiful rifle and at first glance it looks like it *may* be original flint, which would be one heck of a big bonus.  I'd like to see that lock closer, in detail, to determine if it was reconverted.  One thing I do wonder about it the somewhat abrupt muzzle work - like the front rammer pipe, the end of the foreshock and muzzle cap are all crammed together.  I wonder if it might have been shortened by a few inches at some point.  Regardless, that is a really wonderful example of an upper Susquehanna piece.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 09:53:39 PM »

Could this be the J*K ? I found his name in Hurricane/Nord's gallery of Gunmakers of the Upper Susquehanna.
http://hurricanenordgallery.com/index.php?topic=16.0
Kimmell, Joseph – ca. 1822 – Union Co. – little is known about him except that he produced at least one nice rifle showing strong Snyder Co. influences.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online DaveM

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 11:08:37 PM »
Wonderful rifle!  Looks like original flint to me - thanks fo sharing photos wonder how it got to germany?

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 02:12:52 AM »
The extreme rearward position of the rear sight might indicate the barrel was shortened at the breech. So if that is the case, the stock would have to be shortened as well, creating the crowded components at the muzzle end. Great gun, if it is a reconversion, it the best I’ve ever seen.

Hungry Horse

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »

Is it my eyes, photo or just me but is all of the patchbox finial inletted flush with the wood? It doesn't seem to properly fit this gun but some of the guys better versed on PA rifles can probably tell you more.
Dennis

Dennis, yes, the patchbox and it´s finial are inletted flush. the wood in the piercings fit perfect, no gaps at all   

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Beautiful rifle and at first glance it looks like it *may* be original flint, which would be one heck of a big bonus.  I'd like to see that lock closer, in detail, to determine if it was reconverted. 

As already mentioned, I lack the experience, but I think it could be original flint.
I tried to take better pictures with my small camera, but to no effort....
A friend of mine is a pretty good photographer, I will ask her to make better pictures for me and will post them,
may take a few days.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
Wonderful rifle!  Looks like original flint to me - thanks fo sharing photos wonder how it got to germany?
I know some "old" German collectors who brought guns with them from trips to the US several years (decades...) ago.
Most of the time that were Civil War weapons (I started collecting these, too, but part with most of them now to be able
to focus on the long rifles). Some pieces from the old collections are on sale now, but you really have to look hard to be able
to find one. Most of my guns came via the www., it is a little risky and tax and customs cost me dear, but I love to have them and
hope to add some to the collection in the future

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
I will try to learn all I can about the Upper Susquehanna School, fortunately I have a lot of good books.
If someone knows of specialized literature of that school or region, please let me know.
As you may guess there are not many guys around here to ask for advice and few rifles to compare.
I am glad Dennis put me on the forum and Jim asked him to do so.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »
The extreme rearward position of the rear sight might indicate the barrel was shortened at the breech. So if that is the case, the stock would have to be shortened as well, creating the crowded components at the muzzle end. Great gun, if it is a reconversion, it the best I’ve ever seen.

Hungry Horse

Rear sight has obviously been moved back. If the breech had been cut that much the signature would be gone.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:10:47 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Big Wolf

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 02:06:33 AM »

Hungry Horse

Rear sight has obviously been moved back. If the breech had been cut that much the signature would be gone.

Yes, if the breech had been cut that much, the signature would be gone.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 12:12:10 AM »

Dennis

Dennis, yes, the patchbox and it´s finial are inletted flush. the wood in the piercings fit perfect, no gaps at all   

Chris,
Viele grusse aus America senden Dir. Your English is perfect,NO problem at all
and better than my long dormant German.

Bob Roller

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 06:27:47 AM »

Chris,
Viele grusse aus America senden Dir. Your English is perfect,NO problem at all
and better than my long dormant German.

Bob Roller

Bob, thank you a lot!
May I guess that you served your country over here?

Best regards, Chris

Willbarq

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 03:38:51 AM »
I am pretty new to the ALR field and my only "experience" is from books.
I won this rifle at an auction in Germany and guess it has been over here for some time, but know nothing
of it´s history. It is signed *J*K* on the barrel and "Wright" on the lock (at least I think so, it is partially illegible).
I know of several English lock makers of that name and think it is English.
I hope some of you guys can help me to learn more of that gun and beg you to pardon me for being a bad
photographer and to forgive me my far from perfect English.

Its Pennsylvania, its not English for sure.  Looks to be the real deal in fine condition.  Consult more here, somebody will come up with a likely maker.