Author Topic: Ferguson bag and horn style?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline moodyholler

Ferguson bag and horn style?
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:33:18 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find a picture of a Ferguson horn and bag? I've read a description. Has anyone seen an original? Have an educated guess what one should look like? Thanks

Offline moodyholler

Re: Ferguson bag and horn style?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »
No help at all? Or am I looking for a unicorn? Thanks

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:58:48 PM »
As far as I can tell from Bailey, the bags were probably just the standard light infantry cartridge pouch. As for the horn, unless one has been identified since Bailey was writing there aren't any known to exist, and the only thing we know about them for sure is that they didn't arrive in a timely fashion and that Ferguson had to prod some people to get them to his unit. Bailey hypothesizes that they had a spout throwing a fixed charge, but that is not known for certain.

We don't know what the British light infantry horn from the period looks like, nor, apparently, the horn issued with the Baker rifles. Really not much to go on.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:02:44 AM »
Thank you for your kindness!

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:22:05 AM »
 FWIW, Drawing says; "British Army manual for the Ferguson rifle" and it shows a horn being used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_rifle

Tim C.