Author Topic: Southern Rifle Unknown Maker  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Southern Rifle Unknown Maker
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 12:16:50 AM »
Here's the second rifle in all its glory. Note the fine maple stock, and the elaborate cast nose cap, in particular. Everything else is very similar to the first rifle. It has a 42" barrel with .32 cal. bore and 7 groove rifling. Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:20:31 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
Here are a few more details of the second southern rifle by an unknown maker...also unsigned like the first rifle. Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:20:29 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
I believe I like that nose cap better than any other one I’ve ever seen! Surely these two rifles were made by the same hand- but whose and where?
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 12:18:55 AM »
They are like two peas in a pod...now we need to find out if the farm they grew up on is on the north or south side of the Ohio River. I am hoping by posting this second rifle by the same hand, that it might jog someone's memory we haven't heard from yet. I do find it interesting the two lock plates were from different gun/hardware shops but both in Cincinnati; kind of ties the maker in pretty close to that area in my mind. These are two nice rifles that really deserve to be identified. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:24:05 AM by Tanselman »

Offline bgf

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 12:37:00 AM »
They are like two peas in a pod...now we just need to find out if the farm they grew up on is on the north or south side of the Ohio River. I am hoping by posting this second rifle by the same hand, that it might jog someone's memory we haven't heard from yet. I do find it interesting the two lock plates were from different gun/hardware shops but both in Cincinnati; kind of ties the maker in pretty close to that area in my mind. These are two nice rifles that really need to be identified. Shelby Gallien

Great work and a little luck!  Thanks for keeping your eyes open and sharing this one.  Next one might just have signature and that  would be a clincher if it is obviously related as these two!