Author Topic: Question about re-working a horn  (Read 1197 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Question about re-working a horn
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:02:03 AM »
At the end of an old post about re-working a really, really cheap horn, I said I would start another post to ask about refurbishing another cheap old (but historically insignificant) horn.  (Here is the original post)

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=21886.0

The picture below is of a very inexpensive Spanish made percussion pistol my Dad bought for me when I was 9.  As those things go, it was not very long before I wanted to shoot it, so we went back to the local gun store to get black powder and percussion caps.  Now my Dad was a great shooter but he had never been involved with any black powder / muzzle loading weapons.  So John Barkley, a friend of my Dad's and the gun store owner, set us up with powder, caps, and ball and showed us both how to load and shoot the pistol.  As we were leaving the store, Mr. Barkley took a $2 or $3 powder horn (this is 1962 now) down off the wall and handed it to me saying, "Here you'll need one of these."

When Mr. Barkley gave me the horn, it only had a turned wood base plug, a single leather thong for a strap, and a wood stopper.  Some time a year or two later, I added the leather and tacks around the base plug.  A couple of years after that, I got my first Dixie Gun Works catalog and in it found the brass powder valve / measure.  At the time, I had no idea how to thread the end of the horn to attach the brass valve.  So I filed the end of the horn round and small enough to fit into the valve body.  Then I lubricated the threads with a Q-tip and Vaseline, mixed up some two part epoxy, filled the threads with the epoxy and shoved the valve on the end of the horn.  Not long thereafter, fearing that bugs would eat my horn, I coated it with polyurethane, which has since yellowed.  I have kept and used the horn for 56 years.  The threads for the valve are still fine, the single leather thong is still sound, and the bugs have never taken a bite out of the horn.

But as I noted at the end of the older post, I have had the urge lately to re-work the horn.  It has no historical significance and no one will give it a second look when I am gone.  For all purposes, as it is, it would be worthless to anyone but me.  So.....I'm trying to decide if I should take it down to parade rest and start over.....or just leave it alone.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Question about re-working a horn
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:55 AM »
If it will mean more to you reworked then I say rework it.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:35:48 AM »
Since you asked....
You’ve used this horn as it is for over 50 yrs. We’ve seen and appreciated your incredible talent for working horns so there’s no question that you can turn your old horn into something awesome to behold. But why..???
If you just want another horn re-work project I’m going to recommend that you leave this one alone and get yourself a brand spanking new “ really cheap horn” to work your magic on.
Might just be me, but I’m at an age where things I’ve had around me 40-50 yrs carry a LOT of memories and sentimental value.
Your horn... Your choice, but like I said.. since you asked.  ;)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:58:35 AM »
Well said, Don.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
 I agree, gives you an idea of where you started. Here is my first c1965. original strap, dust is only about 11 years old :D

Tim

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:46:59 PM »
Tim,
You've come a looooong way.
Mark
Mark

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »
Tim,

Great horn !!  Yes...it does give you a sense of where you started.  I often wonder what DaVinci's first painting looked like.... ??? Or Jim Chamber's first rifle... :)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

JB

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 01:50:36 AM »
Looks good to me and it has your memories.   I'd leave it  and make yourself a new horn... I hope I still have my first horn 50 years from now.

JB

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 10:22:31 PM »
I would agree with everyone else.  Don't do anything to it except treasure it for the old friend it has become.
That valve is a collector's item in itself.  Hardly ever see one like that around anymore, least ways on the west coast.
John