Author Topic: Through Tang Belt Knife  (Read 2801 times)

Offline jcmcclure

Through Tang Belt Knife
« on: August 21, 2018, 06:06:41 AM »
This piece has a 8.5 inch blade, little over 13 inches overall, finished with a pleasant aging.

Offline webradbury

Re: Through Tang Belt Knife
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
Very nice, JC. How did you darken the antler?
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:55:17 PM »
Very nice, JC. How did you darken the antler?

Ill send a personal message with the details

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
I like the knife.  I have a similar carbon steel blade I need to put a handle on; but I think my antler pieces got lost in our move to Maine.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »
How do you peen your tangs? I've got a dagger made from 1084 that is just about completely done save final assembly, but in practice runs with scrap I can't get 1084 to deform enough that I'm confident I can peen the tang without hitting it hard enough to risk breaking the blade.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 12:15:17 AM »
That's a pretty blade. Nice piece.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 01:07:41 AM »
How do you peen your tangs? I've got a dagger made from 1084 that is just about completely done save final assembly, but in practice runs with scrap I can't get 1084 to deform enough that I'm confident I can peen the tang without hitting it hard enough to risk breaking the blade.

This piece has been forged from 1084 as well. They key with any of those pieces is to make sure the tang is going to be well annealed. If it is not you will find that it will not peen over and you may break the end of the tang off. I usually do not have this issue with 1084, but I have had blades that I forged from files that seemed to air and workharden easily.

When I am ready to peen I just put it in the vice with the blade wrapped in shop clothes. I use a fairly heavy ball peen hammer, but my strikes are soft. I just work my way around the giving the soft strikes. There are times when I have spent 20 min getting the tang peened over like I want it. 

One problem I had early on was peening over too much material. If you start with too much you run a risk of work hardening. You just need enough to lock everything into place. 

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 02:33:03 AM »
Thanks. How much do you leave sticking out beyond the washer, and do you bevel the opening in the washer to give the tang room to move into?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 04:40:29 AM »
As far as a countersink, sometimes and sometimes not. The amount of material left is different for each project, but 1/8-3/16. Personally I have never measured I have just learned by eye what seem right.

As with most things you can always take a little off, but you cannot add to.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
As far as a countersink, sometimes and sometimes not. The amount of material left is different for each project, but 1/8-3/16. Personally I have never measured I have just learned by eye what seem right.

As with most things you can always take a little off, but you cannot add to.

Thanks.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
Very bonny knife, JM!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »
Really nice lines.  Anybody who can drill straight through antler and do that peened tang end gets my respect.  A knife like that will never come apart.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
Hi JC, I too like your knife. When you put the tang through the antler do you fill in around the tang with anything such as epoxie or some thing before you peen the tang end?  Smylee    :)

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »
Fantastic proportions,great blade shape. This is the quintessential work/belt knife!

Great job. I too rarley measure things. After so many years of being a "tinker" you develop an eye. I once nailed a back on a 7' Armoire. My employee who I was training challenged my spacing,saying,"you didn't measure for the nails",so I bet him lunch that all were within 1/16" of being spot on. Subway tastes best when it's free!

Again,perfect Knife!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 05:09:01 AM »
Hi JC, I too like your knife. When you put the tang through the antler do you fill in around the tang with anything such as epoxie or some thing before you peen the tang end?  Smylee    :)

I do use epoxy. On these through tang knives I drill my holes, usually one from each end and meet in the middle...well they kinda meet in the middle. From there I will do my final tang fitting with heat. There are other ways I am sure, but that is the way that I discovered worked.

Most probably can relate, but I am completley self taught. Thus there are probably better ways of doing things, but I have not figured it out yet.

Offline KC

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
That's another great looking knife. Have you ever thought of coming up with a touchmark or some kind of stamp? People should know who builds these knives.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
That's another great looking knife. Have you ever thought of coming up with a touchmark or some kind of stamp? People should know who builds these knives.
K.C.

Brian Barker created a touchmark for me. This is the last knife without a mark. I just finished my first touchmarked knife yesterday.

Hessian

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 06:07:09 PM »
Nice work!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »
That is a....serious looking knife Casey.  I really like it.  It looks like one that would be used by Mel Gibson's recruits in The Patriot movie.  Well done.  God Bless,  Marc