Author Topic: T.K. Dawson Marshall rifle 1971  (Read 2465 times)

Offline mark brier

T.K. Dawson Marshall rifle 1971
« on: August 27, 2018, 03:00:04 AM »
Gentleman, here is another one for your delight. I have plans to copy this one myself sometime. I have my grandfathers full size drawings and measurements of the original and a shoe box full of the epoxy backed foil patterns he did on the original to have the exact 3D when he returned home to start his copy. These rifles are from a time there were @!*% few if any parts available not like the luxury we have today.
Mark Brier

famous april poems

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: T.K. Dawson Marshall rifle 1971
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:23:38 AM »
I don’t know how it can be done better than that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 07:19:11 AM »
Very nice.  He captured the rifle in detail. 
                                                        Roger Sells

sespe

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
That is a beautiful rifle.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 03:18:00 PM »
That rifle, I believe, was the one illustrated in the Lyman Muzzleloaders’ Handbook, First edition, published in 1976, in an article by John Bivins, The Contemporary Craftsman and the Revolutionary Rifle.  There’s some amazing work in that article. 
Andover, Vermont

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »
Incredible work for '71 as well as today, hard to beat.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
Well - I am especially in awe of those able to pull off a rifle like this from such an early era in our muzzleloading fraternity’s history!   Mr Dawson was a true rarity for his time.  Probably only a small handful of people in the country that could have replicated this level of work back then.  Most gunmakers in 1971 were making percussion Hawken’s at the time!  And your point about the lack of furniture is an often overlooked point.  His guns could lay along side of anything being produced currently.  A testament to a truly amazing artisan!!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 10:23:24 PM »
Mark, thanks for sharing you grandfather’s beautiful work with us. I agree with everyone else be sure was an extremely talented and knowledgeable artist way ahead of his time.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline hornturner

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »
Mark Brier, thanks so much for posting these photos of the Edward Marshall rifle.  I remember seeing this rifle when your grandfather visited my dad's home one time.  I was in awe then and still am.  Every scratch, dent and crack were put there to match the original.  This rifle is what ultimately sparked my interest in building rifles, and it was Tom Dawson's patient mentoring that helped me get started.  What great memories for me, today!

Art DeCamp