Author Topic: Tippit Forge...Finished Knife with Pictures  (Read 1974 times)

Offline tippit

Tippit Forge...Finished Knife with Pictures
« on: August 27, 2018, 05:25:50 AM »
I haven't been in my forge since the middle of May when we headed back to New England from SC.  Been a bit out of sorts as I lost my little hunting buddy...Cash my blood trailing wired haired Dachshund due to acute leukemia/stage 5 lymphoma.  I'm a retired veterinarian but I was helpless to aid her.  I had to let her go in peace six weeks after the diagnosis.  Just now getting back to some of the things I've enjoyed doing.

Fired up the forge today,  Started 10 1/2 inch knife from 5160 carbon steel, ground and fitted to bear tibia bone.  Next to quench & temper then to glue & pin blade to bone.  Finally poured pewter bolster, stain and antique bone & blade.  May do some file work for thumb grip...tippit 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:28:45 PM by tippit »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Tippit Forge
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »
I like the blade but I am not a fan of all the rough hammer marks. My taste runs toward a completely finished blade nicely polished - just me ;). Not too sure on the handle - to my eyes it looks "bulky" towards the back - maybe with the bolster on it will look better :-\?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 07:41:50 PM »
I like what you have done so far. I like to see a hand forged knife look hand forged. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »
If you are making a serious reproduction or interpretation of a period knife, then the hammer marks need to be filed or ground out. If you are making a modern "American primitive" style knife, which most people are it appears, then you can leave 'em in if it suites the particular look you are going for.

One thing you really ought to do, though, is put a bit of a radius in the junction between the blade and the tang, instead of a sharp corner. It really isn't all that much work extra, and will prevent the junction from having a stress riser in the corner there.

Sorry to hear about your dog.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline One Eye

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:22:02 AM »
Really fine work!
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 01:34:14 AM »
I like it. To me,and this is MY opinion,and mine only,but a highly finished knife with no marks and a high polish,kind of,TO ME,looks like a commercial knife and doesn’t seem to reflect(no pun!)all the hard work a really fine,good quality knife,perfectly holding a great edge.

I hope that didn’t offend anyone. Like I said,it’s just me,because I look like $#@*,but I work good!🤪
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline tippit

Re: Tippit Forge...Finished KLnife
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »
Finished knife with pewter bolster...

Then let it sit in a tea bath...

Very similar in size & shape of the Don Burton knife...

Fits nicely in the Burton sheath too...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:08:09 AM by tippit »

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Tippit Forge...Finished Knife with Pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 06:27:14 AM »
I do like the finished knife and the tea bath coloring of the handle brought it all together.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »
I like it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
  Overall nice outfit.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
Nice knife...really goes well with that sheath, too. “Thumbs up” from me!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson