Author Topic: 18th century Dagger  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Elnathan

18th century Dagger
« on: August 27, 2018, 10:27:24 PM »
Well, I finally got this done! (more or less....) Proof that I occasionally actually make stuff instead of just hanging around online and talking about it!

A couple profile shots
P1010190" border="0
P1010191" border="0
P1010193" border="0
P1010196" border="0

And a glamour shot.
P1010197" border="0

Apologies for my bad photography...As you can probably tell, I haven't mastered the art of sharpening a blade without scratching it up a bit. The scratches are a lot less obvious in person, though.

The blade is just exactly 7 inches long and 1 inch wide,  12" long overall, and balances right at the junction between guard and grip, I think. Blade is made of 1084, the grip of walnut, and the fittings of whatever bits of mild steel I had laying around.

I made this as something of a commentary on the big "riflemen's knives" with guard and antler handle that are ubiquitous these days. As I'm sure most folks know, despite their popularity among modern reenactors there are very few blacksmith-made knives that can be proven to date to the 18th century and none of them bear any resemblence to the modern version....On the other hand, there are some daggers that survive from the period, so if one just can't live without a big fighting knife with a handguard then a dagger offers a PC alternative. I honestly doubt that they were all that common either, but they did exist.

It based primarily on the example in Gordon Minnis' American Primitive Knives, plate 27 (page 49), also illustrated on page 156 of Johnstone's Accouterments III, with some influence from 18.K in Neumann's Swords and Blades and BK.1 in Madison Grant's The Knife in Homespun America (which I think is actually 19th century). The vision in my head was for this to represent a dagger made sometime around 1775-1785 in SW Virginia or Tennessee and reflecting the taste for iron mounts and walnut stocks for rifles that was just getting started around that time and place - it was kind of intended as a companion piece for an as-of-yet unbuilt proto-mountain rifle. Like rifles, early daggers tend to be fairly well made, not crude, and the first wave of settlers were not poverty stricken the way some of the later ones would be, so this is intended to be workmanlike, with a bit of attention to making a nice piece. I shaped it by eye and some basic measuring tools, though, and while I did my best to keep it straight and symmetrical I didn't worry unduly about little irregularities. Whether that was the right approach I'll have to leave for y'all to decide - I like the fact that it doesn't look too crisp (a lot of modern made "primitive" knifes are over-finished, IMHO), but there are areas that I wish I had gotten a bit better.

On a personal level, this was my first double-edge blade, my first knife with a hilt, my first attempt at making a ferrule, and my first knife with a through tang peened at the end. Quite a step up in complexity from the sheath knives I previous made! I ended up making every piece of the knife at least twice, including the blade, and I can think of several things that I want to do differently the next time around, mostly relating to the shape of the tang and the fit of the handle and guard to the tang. Lots of room for improvement yet. One of the nice things about making a "frontier knife" though, is that a bit of roughness is forgiveable....

Now I need to make a sheath for it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:28:14 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Stoner creek

Re: 18th century Dagger
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:47:40 PM »
Very Very Nice!!!
Those daggers can be a bit tricky!!
Congratulations on a fine job.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:05:22 AM »
 8) 8)... great job,... nice looking dagger .... is the band at the cross-guard a silver band or poured pewter,...??? .... congrats on a well done, attractive piece,...you make the horn & pouch too,...? .. regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,.......

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:46:11 AM »
Fiddler, it is neither silver nor pewter, but a piece of sheet steel from an old gutter, hammered flat! I had to file it from 1/32" thick down to about .025 or even a bit less and anneal it to get it to bend properly. By the time I soldered it, drove it onto the handle, and got it largely cleaned up with a needle file it had become almost paper thin in spots - the black spots are irregularities that didn't quite file out and I didn't keep filing for fear of ruining it.

Pouch and horn are my work, too, albeit from about 15 years back.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:51:18 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:01:39 AM »
 :o :o... well I'll be dipped,... !!! ....sure looked like silver,... great idea and a lot of work,... !!! ... fits look perfectly,... great job on bag & horn too,... BTW,... !!!

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »
Daggers are always a bit of a challenge. They need to be symmetrical, so are almost twice the work of a regular knife. I love making and looking at them. Yours is well proportioned and very well executed, a joy to look at. It shows that you really care about your work.

Wolfgang

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:45:58 AM »
I think it looks great, nice job! 

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
Lovely knife.  With that wide guard it evokes a main-gauche parrying dagger.  I like the lines of the grip.  A nice knife all around.  I'll be interested to see the sheath you develop considering that wide guard.  Best wishes,   Marc