Author Topic: Flintlock pistol (early 18th Century French?)  (Read 2017 times)

Offline pjmcdonald

Flintlock pistol (early 18th Century French?)
« on: August 29, 2018, 07:02:25 AM »
While attending the National Guard Association conference this past weekend I stumbled on this little jewel on display. The kind lady at the booth took it out and allowed me to examine and photograph. It is thought to be of Spanish origin. But in New Orleans, it could have come from many places in the Old World. Appreciate any thoughts you might have on it.

By the way, the lady I spoke with works with a few museums in the area that might need help with restorations. They still have some pieces that were drowned during Katrina that need some love. I’ll happily pass along contact info if we have some restoration experts in the ranks.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:05:29 PM by pjmcdonald »

Offline pjmcdonald

Re: Flintlock pistol unknown maker
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »
A few more photos

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
Hi,
Nice pistols and photos!  I believe the barrel markings indicate the gun is French from St. Etienne.  The marks look like those they stamped on their "luxury" civilian arms during the 1720s-1730s.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
That is a neat little pistol. What kind of stock wood? Is it curly maple?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
Marvelous piece!  Sure hope we can find out more about it.  Does look more French than Spanish.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for that. I'll see if I can't find more info. I believe the pistol is kept at the Jackson Barracks museum - a small museum primarily dedicated to the history of the Louisiana National Guard and militias.

French origin makes more sense than Spanish. But again, in New Orleans, I'm pretty sure you could find just about anything. Except that I'm still looking for my liver.

Paul

Offline 45-110

Re: Flintlock pistol (early 18th Century French?)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »
Wow
I really like to boldness of the lock panels. Also the moldings on the mounts etc. is so well done.
kw

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 06:26:55 PM »
Looks French to me as well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline vanu

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
French manufacture, several have Canadian locations (18th ca.) engraved on the pommel (Montreal, Quebec), therefore possibly made/sold for the colonial trade market.

I have an example with silver wire inlay, great caving and interestingly, original faux painted wood grain that simulates burl/curl! Kevin Gladysz book in "The French Trade Gun in North America" has period references to pistols as part of arms shipments to Canada. (I believe i heard that he is planning a volume on trade pistols).

Very interesting arms...

Bruce

Offline alacran

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »
There is hardly anything to suggest that this was Spanish. Even when the Spanish were using " A La Moda" styled Locks, They kept the vestigial Ring for the top jaw screw.  After the ascent of the Bourbon kings when they started using French styled locks on Military arms , such as the 1752 musket. They maintained the top jaw screw ring.
I believe that is a French stamp. But I can't seem to find my proof mark book. That being said a fine barrel like this, if Spanish would have the makers Counter stamp on the top flat ahead of the breech, along with city proofs.
What a beautiful pistol!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »
Hi Folks,
The marks on the barrel are for St. Etienne, France so there is no question the barrel at least is French.  The other components look French as well.  I cannot tell if the wood is stump maple or walnut but I lean toward maple.  During the late 17th and early 18th centuries burl or stump maple stocks were a fad in England and Europe. Unfortunately, they tended to chip and crack easily so the fad was largely abandoned by the mid-18th century.  I believe the pistol was made in St. Etienne, France as a civilian or possibly officer's "luxury" arm during the 1730-1740s.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you kindly for the replies and information. I will pass it along. I don't know where I got the Spanish idea. She was giving me the entire history of New Orleans in a 60 second burst so I probably mis-heard. More likely, the libations the night before are to blame.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. It is a truly lovely little pistol. I was excited to find it amongst all the modern military hardware on display.

Regards,

Paul

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »
Was over at Wallace's house a few weeks ago and handled a pistol much like this, French, but curiously stocked in heavily striped maple... except not.  It's a light piece of walnut, expertly painted with dye to give the appearance of curled maple.  This stock looks much the same, and would bet that it too was finished in the same degree.  Note the way the stripes "shift" in the grip of the stock, and don't align from all angles.  It's much more convincing than any of the faux striping ever done on 19th century American arms.  Beautiful little pistol, thanks for sharing! 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com