Author Topic: How do you make this stitch  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: How do you make this stitch
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 07:10:20 AM »
Please don’t send anything.  I appreciate the offer.  I have a bunch of 4 oz that I’m playing with. I’ve made a dozen or so frizzen covers and some flint wallets.  I’m going to get some 2-3 oz when I get back from Phoenix  and make that welted bag I posted earlier.  I’m in the middle of attempting a copy of one of Marc’s bags.  My poney came in the mail today.  I had a bunch of my guns laying out downstairs in the man cave to clean for weeks and the wife’s been on my back to put them up so I had to do that instead of play with the new leather toy.

Offline msellers

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 07:25:25 AM »
I  am like Afghanvet in that I learn all sorts of interesting things on this forum.  Many, many folks willing to share their skills and knowledge.

It is possible to get hemostats with no gripping teeth.  I have a couple, and use them frequently.  I think it might also be possible to grind or file off those teeth, but have not tried that.

I got my smooth hemostats years ago.  Working in the ER of a large hospital, I assisted a plastic surgeon when he stitched up a patient's face.  I remarked on the smooth jaws of some of the hemostats, and when we were done, he handed me three of them and told me to just put them in my pocket.  Felt weird, but I did it anyway!

My son does all my needed leatherwork now, as he makes rifle slings and sell them on ebay.
As a person who isn't a big fan of buying specialty tools, or modifying my expensive tools all the time. I have covered the toothed Jaws with electrical tape to make them smooth effectively. Also works on needle nose pliers for straightening and adjusting glasses, but the is a different story.

Mike

alamosa

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 01:20:22 AM »
I have no association with this gentleman, or his products, but he does some beautiful hand stitching on his bags.
You can click on his various shooting bags and see different variations of bags and his stitching work.  I have
some patterns and leather, and I think I will try this stitch.  Best of luck.
Bill Smiths shooting bags, http://billsmithblackpowder.com/the-tennessee/

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 01:59:37 AM »
Those are some nice bags.