Author Topic: Leggings  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Leggings
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:45:13 PM »
I'm looking to make a pair of leggings. Trying to stay in the 1760-1770 time period. My question is would goat skin be appropriate, or do I need to stay with deer skin?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Elnathan

Re: Leggings
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »
Deerskin or wool are probably the better choices.

There might have been some goats in the Carolina/Virginia backcountry area, if you are doing a longhunter impression, but you might want to do the research before investing in the leather.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
Deerskin or wool are probably the better choices.
I have used both, but prefer wool.  It fits tighter, dries quicker, doesn't get baggy- stretch- or dry out over time and it's warmer in cool weather.   I used to use leg ties to hold them up, but they cut off your circulation so I switched to a simple leather strap and buckle.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Fowler610

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »
What type of wool cloth would have been available in, say, Williamsburg in that time period?   I made mine from wool suiting material that I got from Jo Ann's Fabrics.  It's very smooth textured and tightly woven.  How PC would that be?  Would stroud cloth be more accurate?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
Mine are kinda woven like a Hudson Bay blanket, but about 1/2 of the thickness.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline JW

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
Stroud, or more economical, broadcloth. Go to the website for W. Booth Draper or Burnley and Trowbridge. The predominate colors from period descriptions and art are navy blue followed by red and then white. Green, purple, etc. are also seen but not nearly as common. Depending on your impression, navy blue is a great choice. For most euro colonial impressions, simple wool tape used as garters are the best bet. I cut garters from the same wool I cut my leggings from.

Another reason to go with broadcloth is the difficulty of procuring proper braintain. If you’re doing an impression that calls for deerskin leggings, the only thing that really works is real braintan. It’s the only thing that really, truly looks (and breathes) like the real thing. It’s a real chore to do it yourself and it’s costly to buy from someone who does it for you for that very reason.

Fowler610

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 04:19:15 AM »
Great topic, Brian  :).  I took JW's advice and checked out Burnley and Towbridge [https://www.burnleyandtrowbridge.com/woolandwoolblends.aspx.  Wool broadcloth is $30/yd and worsted wool $13/yd.

With regard to color, see the following:

The Pennsylvania Gazette
May 12th 1773
JUST Imported, in the last vessels from Britain and Ireland are to be sold...A very large assortment of the best Superfine, second and low priced broadclothes, such as mazareen blue, sky and saxon ditto, light and dark blue greys, scarlet and white, buff and blossom, grass and pea green, light and dark purple, black and grey, raven black and sloe colour, dark and light drabs or cloth colours, suitable for womens cloaks etc. copper, claret and flesh colours, olive and wine colours, dark and light London browns, sinnamon, chocolate, and snuff colours, with a variety of mixed elegant coloured clothes....

Love this stuff!

Lobo

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
I have a pair made from deerskin splits, it has the look of brain tan but is a lot cheaper.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
I have a pair made from deerskin splits, it has the look of brain tan but is a lot cheaper.

I am unfamiliar with leather terms. I have read descriptions splits, sides, etc. Can you explain the difference?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Mike C

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 06:34:45 AM »
Would sail cloth or canvas of some sort be HC for mid 18th century leggings?
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 05:01:04 PM »
I got my blue wool from Burnley and Trowbridge decades ago.
Kept me warm at minus 20 -odd C.   was fine in summer too.   Only leggings I've had, (after some early grey blanket ones I'd made)

In cold weather, you can freeze easily in leather, easier still in wet leather!

Lobo

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
I am unfamiliar with leather terms. I have read descriptions splits, sides, etc. Can you explain the difference?

A split is the inside of a deerskin after it has been split so that the top side is cut to an even thickness.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »
Ditto to JW's post

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 12:11:52 AM »
96 District Fabrics in Bishopville, SC should also have a lot of choices.  803-4839696

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 05:47:31 AM »
    If you use goatskin, do it with the hair left on and please grow a goatee,   be the talk of the camp.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
All of these are pretty good replies, but your first task is to figure out what persona you are shooting for.

In the military  you'll find that certain groups showed up with anything they could find, others sometimes contracted for standardized leggings and so on.

I never liked wool for trekking because I am one of those guys who would catch on every briar out there

Off the shelf deerskin always looked too industrial unless they were turned inside out.  Easier to get on and off with the flower side on the inside.

For the longest time I used the splits mentioned earlier in the post because they were so light and still supple.

Goat skin seems a little far fetched, but then again I am kinda partial never liking goat cheese or Romano.

IN any case, get 'em dirty and enjoy whatever you make.

The best pair I ever had I modeled after a pair of Mohican leggings I saw up in Washington, CT, where they came all the way up to the crotch and had short fringes.   I loved 'em, but was constantly defending them because the same posturing fools who maintained that..."they"...did not have facial hair were also maintaining that ..."they"... did not use fringe.

I tried real hard to build up an unfriendly rep toward the guys who are posturing about how thorough their research was or how they were perfectionists.  The best folks to meet are the ones who walk up and ask you about your gear because that is generally a signal that they understand that research never ends.

Use your judgement  and enjoy what you make.

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 05:29:10 AM »
Brian, another thing you may look into is German tan that Crazy Crow sells also called enzyme tan I think. I dont have experiance with it but have read people describing it and really like it.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 07:42:03 AM »
Capgunkid,

I've never had  a problem with wool and briars or anything , never even crossed my mind there could be a problem.
We have plenty of briars and such as well.
Did you try wool, or are just thinking it would be a problem?

All the best,
Richard.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »
Pukka
I remember it as a thistle rich patch we went through but I can't remember which trip.
They're obviously useful because enough people wore and wear them. 
Mine ended up lining some deerskin for winter trips.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
Now Thistles, nice dry ones, Would be bad !!  There's no good way re, thistles and wool. 

Gulf state gaurd

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 12:52:34 AM »
the upside to thistles and burdock is they typically are edible, so as a long hunter....

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 02:46:14 AM »
I would respectfully suggest you consider your conditions as well as your "persona."  Leather leggings will absorb water especially if you make them long.  Cloth leggings will also absorb water but will likely dry quicker.  Heavy blanket grade wool is great for winter......

I have several pairs for different "occasions" which allow me to pick and choose.

As to leather (hide) type.  You can use commercial tanned buckskin and just turn the slick side in if you wand a scrapped hide look or leave the slick side out.  I live thirty miles from a very early (1700's) (Grand Chain, on the Ohio River, French period) commercial tannery here in Illinois country and they supposedly made slick side leather from deer hides..... so, yes, it was available.

Just some thoughts.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 06:20:12 AM »
My leggings are brain tanned deer skin.  Nothing like it for comfort.  I wear suiting wool loin cloths/breech clouts.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
Stay away from the goatskin unless your persona is Puck from Midsummer Night’s Dream.

For long hunter Natty Bumpo types smoked brain tan deerskin is the best. It breathes. It protects. It’s authentic.  It smells good. It’s expensive.
A good substitute and less expensive is the smoked German tan available from Crazy Crow

Wool is superb for winter and snow

Making leggings is pretty straightforward so make em yourself. There are some good tutorials on how to do em. Research

Leather and even wool will stretch so take this into consideration when making them. I do a temporary tacking and where em around the house. Squat bend stretch. Do Pilates, whatever. Then sew em up. Chances are you may have to resew  them again as they stretch. Ain’t nothing so sad looking as floppy leggings.

Consider there are other options as well. With breaches you can where cloth leggings a la military or spatter dashes (half leggings).  Think militia types. Civilian farmers, townspeople etc. Research

Spend your money wisely.  Did I mention research?

Have fun and good luck