Author Topic: Last word on patch lube  (Read 15897 times)

Offline Skychief

Re: Last word on patch lube
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 10:40:19 PM »
Often overlooked is a lube many used in the past.  Vegetable shortening (Crisco).  You could use worse.

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 01:03:48 AM »
The only patch lube I use is spit. it has worked good for me for 25 years.
All gave some Some gave all

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 01:37:20 AM »
Crisco might change the length of your barrel because
It is shortening...lol
Tim

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 02:07:27 AM »
Can it be tobacco spit?   

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 02:18:26 AM »
In dry country Crisco patches with set a fire faster than you can with a match. So you could do a whole lot better.

Hungry Horse

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
Spit patches on the range and in decent temps (I dump my loads when I quit for the day) Dry lube patches for the first shot while hunting.  I keep three patches wet in my cheek when hunting in case I need a second shot.  Has worked for years.  I really liked the old Ox Yoke dry lubed patch material.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 10:09:48 PM »
Often overlooked is a lube many used in the past.  Vegetable shortening (Crisco).  You could use worse.

When I started shooting ML'ers back in the mid 70's Crisco and spit were the patch lubes recommended to use. I used some of both, mostly Crisco though. I used it for years with no problems once I learned it's limitations. Like when match shooting I'd shoot 3 shots then clean with a spit patch, then shoot the next 2. It is a good hunting lube, it doesn't dry out and won't rust your barrel. I don't have a problem with using it again. It's a good choice around here as the bear are scarce and the whales all gone.
I've never seen or heard of a crisco lubed patch catching on fire except for what HH says. But I don't live in the high dry desert either so maybe it's not suited for all locations.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 04:49:17 PM »
I don't think there will ever be a last word re. patch lube.

On another forum they are discussing how deer tallow is no use.   I don't post over there anymore, but have used it for decades and it is a grand lube for hunting I think.
Yes, in Cold weather, (minus 20 and colder) I sometimes have to hold  a patch in my mouth a few seconds to limber it up, as it sets like canvas otherwise, but it works very well as a lube and will not hurt a barrel.
Each to his own.
 I always thought Crisco caused me a Lot more fouling, and lanolin was Real hard to clean out!
For shooting sessions, I'd like some of you blokes to give the "Udderly Smoothe" a try. it comes in a black and white tub (like a Holstein) from Walmart.
I use this and it Never fouls up. ..as in, you can shoot all day and not have to wipe the bore. 
No, I don't own shares in the company.  :-)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »
Ballistol seems to do pretty well.    I might make a batch of lubed patches using olive oil and a bit of beeswax.   

Although... I do have an old bottle of Neatsfoot oil.  Always wondered how many Neats it took to fill that bottle.  Are there hordes of Neats running around somewhere without feet?
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Frank

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 08:10:05 PM »
I don't think there will ever be a last word re. patch lube.

On another forum they are discussing how deer tallow is no use.   I don't post over there anymore, but have used it for decades and it is a grand lube for hunting I think.
Yes, in Cold weather, (minus 20 and colder) I sometimes have to hold  a patch in my mouth a few seconds to limber it up, as it sets like canvas otherwise, but it works very well as a lube and will not hurt a barrel.
Each to his own.
 I always thought Crisco caused me a Lot more fouling, and lanolin was Real hard to clean out!
For shooting sessions, I'd like some of you blokes to give the "Udderly Smoothe" a try. it comes in a black and white tub (like a Holstein) from Walmart.
I use this and it Never fouls up. ..as in, you can shoot all day and not have to wipe the bore. 
No, I don't own shares in the company.  :-)

I am curious how this compares to Tracks Mink Oil? Been trying different lubes for over 40 years and have settled on spit for target and Mink oil for hunting purposes. Hate to start experimenting again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:11:09 PM by Frank »

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »
Ballistol seems to do pretty well.    I might make a batch of lubed patches using olive oil and a bit of beeswax.   

Although... I do have an old bottle of Neatsfoot oil.  Always wondered how many Neats it took to fill that bottle.  Are there hordes of Neats running around somewhere without feet?

I’m surprised the ASPCA hasn’t been investigating why all
Of those Neats don’t have feet!
Tim

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 04:00:30 AM »
Frank,

If you get a tub and don't like it, your wife and self can use it as it's meant to be used, as a real nice hand -cream.  :-)

Offline bones92

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
Pukka, I'm going to try that Udderly Smooth cream.  At worst, I can use it in winter when my hands get really dry.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 12:32:05 AM »
Let us know how you fare with it, Bones.

Yes, I use it, wife does and dog used to on her little sunburned nose!

Designed originally for cows udders of course, but Shania Twain uses it on her face and looks Good.  :-)

Not saying You will look as good though.....   ;)

Note, The stuff in the tub is best. The tube variety is V runny.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2018, 01:10:16 AM »
Some feed stores carry "Bag Balm" instead of Udderly Smooth,  About the same thing, and it does help a lot with chapped skin.

Timbotide, I am surprised that there are any Neats or Naugas alive any more.  There in the 70's and 80's, I thought Naugas were going to be posted 0n the Endangered Species list.  Both are good.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
Most of the nags were killed off in the 70's , many of them going to manufacture the interiors of Cordobas....or maybe it was the Corinthians who were killed off ?   Can't remember exactly  ;)

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2018, 05:45:25 PM »
Craig,

Bag balm will cause you grief if you use it as a lube.  Twust me Old Sport...  :-)

I think neatsfoot likely sounded better to the makers than "Nagsfoot".

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2018, 05:08:48 PM »
So many of us recommend TOW Mink Oil I don't understand why some look for something else. At least try it and see if those who use it are right.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
Richard, I think I will stick to spit for now.  Although some of my heart pills make my mouth so dry I can't speak.  I also have some synthetic sperm whale oil that I haven't tried yet.

What ever I use, I do not use to excess - patch is barely lubed, which seems to work well.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
Pukka
Had to buy a tub of the Udderly Smooth creme after reading your enticing endorsement. I have to say the creme works mighty fine as a patch lube. Seemed to prevent the blown/burnt patches on this one rifle that is giving me fits trying to find the right patch-bullet diameter combo......and still be able to load with out a mallet!
thanks
kw

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »
Crisco was nothing but trouble for me in any gun I ever used it in, it fouled up so bad compared to deer or bear tallow . Wonder lube was just as bad in any gun I used. I won a jar of the stuff and gave it to a guy I didn't like.  ;D

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »
Pukka
Had to buy a tub of the Udderly Smooth creme after reading your enticing endorsement. I have to say the creme works mighty fine as a patch lube. Seemed to prevent the blown/burnt patches on this one rifle that is giving me fits trying to find the right patch-bullet diameter combo......and still be able to load with out a mallet!
thanks
kw

Very please it works for you KW!  and again, I don't have shares in the company!

I started using it in a B-loader BP rifle in .577",and it went from there.
(I thought afterwards, I should have stareted "Re-potting it" and selling it at a big mark up, LOL!)

Offline bones92

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »
Pukka,

Do you just work some Udderly Smooth into a patch, or perhaps melt a dollop of the crème and let it absorb into a stack of patches?

Next time I order from TOTW, I will order some mink oil, as well.    So many members speak highly of it, there must be something to it.

The Udderly Smooth will help my hands in winter, so having some around isn't a bad idea, regardless.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 05:48:24 PM »
This thread reminds me of that old song “ How can I miss you when you won’t go away”. This subject gets chewed, and regurgitated, so often, that I’ve come to believe nobody ever reads what’s been said in the past. Bottom line is, if you lube your patches with anything that has ingredients in that you aren’t familiar with, you’re asking for trouble. Animal grease, or tallow, with no other ingredients is the answer.
 This threads twin sister is the “ I have a crusty spot at the breech of my barrel, and don’t know why”thread. Oddball patch lubes are almost always the cause. That unfortunately often includes lubes manufacture specifically for our chosen sport in many cases.
 A single patch lube that will perform well in screaming hot summer, and bone chilling cold winter, are very much like unicorns, when it comes to finding them.
 I use venison tallow in the summer, where I live. Summers here are screaming hot, and deer season runs through late summer, and early fall, 110 degrees in the heat of the day are not unheard off. Even on the hottest days, I’ve never seen even a wisp of smoke from a spent patch. Winter days can see temperatures in the twenties, making tallow pretty stiff. So I add bear oil to the mix to make it more cold temperature friendly. All these natural lubes have good lubricity, and a very high flash point.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »
Bones,

I just work it into the patch for shooting sessions. Melting it won't work, as it has a percentage of water.

Old Hoss,
I can't help it if it works. It started working when I found it maybe 15 years ago. we slather it on pretty thick at times and it still works, and for a musket, we load with  thick felt wad, a ball, a great dollop of U.Smoothe and another thick felt wad.
Afraid No crud rings as it has nothing in it in the way of petroleum chemicals.    No I am Not saying it is the only thing to use, but found it was the One thing that made my converted .577" rifles shoot Consistently.

We have a "Something Challenge " at our annual shoot here on the farm.  It is for guns we do not mention here, and my old gun has won it 5 times out of 8.  and my eyes aren't a patch on what they were.  Range is 150 yards, no rests but prone OK.
Mind, Now, Most everyone uses the same potion, LOL!  We can check our barrels after 10 or 30 shots and still see rifling all the way down.  Or more. I don't swab between shoots, and my rifle is most times  used by five of us, and the targets are the B 17, and 13 shots, best ten for score, so it has a Lot of powder, (@ 70 grs a time) and lead through it with no washing out, and I often shoot it near the end.

It's not a miracle, as for hunting it would damp the powder in time, and maybe rust, just like spit will.   For hunting I use deer tallow. 
Like I said, it's not a miracle, but it does work. ;)