Author Topic: Pam  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Pam
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
Has anyone used Pam as a patch lube?
If so what was your opinion of the results?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Pam
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
The absolute most important thing to remember when searching for that holy grail of patch lube is flash point. Many products work well as a patch lube, but fail miserably when it come to how easily it ignites, or how long it will hold a spark, and smolder.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 05:14:24 PM »
For loading and shooting at a shoot, I don't think anything can beat "Udderly Smoothe" from Wally World.

Not good for hunting as it contains water, but for a shoot, you could shoot all week and never have to swab the bore.
I use it all the time even in musket and cartridge guns that we don't talk about here.  (Converted P '53's etc.)

Best,
R.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
There are so many good patch lubes easily acquired that it makes little sense (IMHO) to mix up a batch of  "me too" or to keep looking after excellent ones are available.  I can think of several I could live with, starting with spit patch.  I find TOW mink oil for hunting, and Hoppes #9 BP Lube for everything else, to be all I ever need.  What works for other shooters IS their grail.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Hessian

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
Never used Pam. I use deer tallow. It seems to work well for lots of things.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »
Never used Pam. I use deer tallow. It seems to work well for lots of things.

Me too for hunting, Hessian.
Lube, leather dressing, waterproofing. Mocs,  underside of barrel.
 I need a fat buck this fall. am running down on my supply!

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:26:11 PM »
I will check a can at the store later, but IIRC, PAM is just olive oil with an aerosol gas.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:27:21 PM by Gun_Nut_73 »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:22:54 PM »
Spit or mink oil are all I ever use. Spit when target shooting and mink oil for any rifle that will be loaded for over a day. Switching between the two does not alter the point of impact in my experience. People seem to become really involved in their "gotta have" patch lubes that they swear work better than anyone else's the world around. I say keep it simple.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline little joe

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:38:01 PM »
Spit or mink oil are all I ever use. Spit when target shooting and mink oil for any rifle that will be loaded for over a day. Switching between the two does not alter the point of impact in my experience. People seem to become really involved in their "gotta have" patch lubes that they swear work better than anyone else's the world around. I say keep it simple.

daveSecond on that A lot of commerical stuff, lubes, solvents and anything else we are making some one else swimming pool payments.

rfd

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
dunno about pam as a lube, and never will as what i've been using for decades simply works well ... and it's all good if it works good. 

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 04:11:46 PM »
I find TOW mink oil for hunting and Hoppes #9 BP Lube for everything else, to be all I ever need. 
That’s my recipe for SUCCESS using ‘patched’ loads.

For paper ‘cartridge’ loads and for lubing minie balls out of US Civil War era arms, I use a 50-50 mix of beeswax & olive oil, adjusting for more oil in cccc colder weather.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:58 AM »
Pam is, I think, canola oil which is also available in a bottle much more economically than in an aerosol.
Mike Lee