Author Topic: Goex black powder $ lbs  (Read 4038 times)

Lead ball 54

Goex black powder $ lbs
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »
I was just wondering what the price is per pound of Goex in your neck of the woods is here in Eastern Whashington it's 25.00

Offline 45-110

Re: Goex black powder $ lbs
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »
I picked up 4 lbs  of Goex 2f last weekend at a gun show...$15.00 a lb. This summer I got my large powder order brought to the Quigley shoot and I believe it was $18.00 a lb.

ltdann

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:53:28 PM »
$34 per lb.  One pound limit per day.

Offline Cory McArtor

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
I just bought a couple pounds of GOEX at a local place for $16.99/lb. They have Old Eynsford at the same place for $18.99/lb.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:26:32 PM »
Powder is getting sky high in cost.  It has been a very long time since I bought any locally.  I always save up and get a 25# case or go in with someone and split the cost of a case.  At this point I consider cost first and foremost.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 01:33:54 AM »
Unobtainium around here, you can't buy it at any price as no stores carry it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jimbows

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 02:09:14 AM »
It抯 about 25.00 a lb where I live in Pa

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
Up here in the world of eternal snow, (since Wednesday!  :-) )  local stores stock it, but it's about $34 to $37.00 a can .  (Beaver bucks)
I got mine bulk and split it. About time I got another batch.  No fun without it!

I split the last lot with bro-in law;
Since then he passed away, and my Sis. said he'd Buried it outside some place...was worried about fire.   (!)  Looked high and low and no findum.  Plastic bottles in a plastic box isn't good to find with metal detector!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
Richard, I got a good chuckle from the "no findum"!  Wait till the snow is gone, look for a low spot where the soil has settled differently.  If it were me, I would train my Sunny (service dog) to sniff out BP.  When we trained her out in OK, we also trained her to sniff out drugs (ex-LEO), and quite often in our local Wally World,  she will alert on a customer.  I just pat her on the head, say "Good Girl", and mosey on down the isle.

If I could make the long trip,  i'd come hunt it up for ya - after the snow is gone!  My little HHR does NOT like snow at all!!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »
Richard, I got a good chuckle from the "no findum"!  Wait till the snow is gone, look for a low spot where the soil has settled differently.  If it were me, I would train my Sunny (service dog) to sniff out BP.  When we trained her out in OK, we also trained her to sniff out drugs (ex-LEO), and quite often in our local Wally World,  she will alert on a customer.  I just pat her on the head, say "Good Girl", and mosey on down the isle.

If I could make the long trip,  i'd come hunt it up for ya - after the snow is gone!  My little HHR does NOT like snow at all!!  It sells so quick around here that I抳e never seen it for sale. The stickers say $18.00. 

You would get no shopping accomplished the 1st of the month around here.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:17:47 PM by Afghanvet »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 11:01:28 PM »
Richard:  I'm going to pm you the name and contact info for my source of black powder in Edmonton.  Currently, it's $27 CDN.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 11:22:42 PM »
Haven't bought powder locally in years. I just bought 25# of old enysford from powder inc. worked out to $19.90 a pound shipped. should last me a few years.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 12:55:11 AM »
Even when you buy the minimum at most online stores (5lbs) it comes out cheaper than local stores. By quite a bit compared to some of the prices listed in this thread.

I remember my last order from Graf's came to something like $23lb for 5lbs including shipping and hazmat. It a shame what's happening to the price of black powder. Not so long ago I was paying $15lb for Swiss.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 02:25:25 AM »
While it's true you can almost always get it cheaper shipped in bulk, I like to support my local shop and pick up a pound or two when I can, even though it costs several dollars more.  It's nice to be able to buy locally...one of the reasons lots can't buy it local is because they all buy it cheaper by the case direct and won't buy it for more $ locally--- hence no surprise it's not sold locally.  The merchants figured out they can't compete with mail order and combined with the headaches of storing what is deemed an explosive make it not worth stocking.
Jerry

rfd

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 03:06:53 AM »
yep, bp is now a mail order only item for most everyone, and a 25# bulk case is the cheapest way to go.  save up or work on a gang purchase.

at least we can still buy it .... here in the states, those dayze may be in jeopardy as well.

i'll add - all my "local" gun stores within a 50 mile radius of nj/ny won't stock bp due to the explosives storage regulations AND the weak consumer demand.  they do sell a lot of that cr@p fake bp, which is considered the smokeless it is and not a explosive.

yup, mail order.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:11:17 AM by rfd »

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 12:53:27 PM »
Log Cabin. Goex $28.26 , OE $30.50, and Swiss $37.

Offline Maven

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:08 PM »
Does this powder interest anyone:  https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23165?  Check Graf's prices on other brands of BP as well.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline satwel

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »
No one in Massachusetts sells GOEX. I used to buy it in New Hampshire until the price went to $29.00 a lb. Now I buy bulk from Maine Powder House @$18.50 a lb.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 07:58:11 PM »
Does this powder interest anyone:  https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23165?  Check Graf's prices on other brands of BP as well.

It goes bang and smokes but it's weak.

Offline Maven

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
Good to know, OMM.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
These powder prices for the most part sound hideous. But, if you don抰 buy exotic oils from the grocery store, or expensive critter squeezin抯 from the muzzleloading catalogs, you抣l save a little. And if you go to fabric store, or better yet the thrift store, for your patching material, you抣l save a little more. Now if you mold your own balls, instead of ordering swedged ones that cost more to ship than the original cost, you save yet again. With all this saving, the cost per shot is not so bad, even if you抮e paying close to thirty dollars a pound for powder. If you consider that there is 7000 grains of powder in the average one pound can, that抯 a lot of shots in your average muzzleloader. It is infinitely cheaper than shooting any larger caliber modern firearm. So, suck it up, do some of scrounging yourself, and pay the nice man for his powder. After all he抯 the guy that has to jump through all the hoops, to comply with federal, and local, regulations to sell it to you.

Hungry Horse

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 04:31:14 AM »
Deer Creek Products in Waldron In.

$350 for 25 cans of  fffg Goex.

I just picked up a case at the first of the month.

Of course that抯 without the haz- mat fee.

But if I use all my fingers and toes I think that comes to $14 a pound!

And I was in the neighborhood anyway.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline retired fella

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:52 AM »
Yep,  SMO I'm  headed over there next month to stock up.  I normally buy 5 lbs at a time.   

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
That price will be hard to beat.

You might want to call the day before you go over there, I had to make a second trip due to them not having it pulled from their storage area.

That could have been because the Guy who runs the place was still at Floodship, and the young Lady working there  didn抰 have access to the powder ...

Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline heelerau

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 12:26:18 AM »
We are paying $115 to $135 Australian for a 1kg of Wano black powder. Kg is about 2.5 lbs. and we get powder droughts as black powder is only shipped down under every two years and the Department of Mines treats it as explosive so its very expensive to move it from interstate, the powder probably lands in Sydney and I am in Western Australia. I still have the remains of a case of Goex which I paid $14 a pound for in 1985 on a primary producers certificate, for the "destruction of vermin" my mates were all pretty *#)*^~ with me as they were paying about $34 Au a pound for it at that stage. Powder has always been expensive down under ( a far flung corner of the old British Empire !)
    Cold comfort for you blokes, but it seems at its worst you are better off in the US than we are down under for powder.

Cheers

Gordon :'(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:27:00 AM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !