Author Topic: Western National Shoot R.I.P.  (Read 3090 times)

Offline alacran

Western National Shoot R.I.P.
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:31:28 PM »
The NMLRA's board of directors  for the second time this year, voted this week to terminate the Western National Shoot in Phoenix.
Like a Phoenix the shoot has been resurrected as the Arizona Western Independent National Shoot or AZWINS.
Mr. Bill Loughrige will be ramrodding this event.  He has been running the Phoenix end of the now defunct Western Nationals for at least  the past ten years.
The International Long range championship will be part of the venue. The British team has already indicated that they will attend. The Ben Avery Range in Phoenix boasts a 1000 yard range.
There will be  primitive events , bench and cross sticks, offhand events, pistol as well as primitive archery.
The event fees will be $60.00 pre registered. $70.00 for at the door entries. These fees will cover all events, which you may wish to shoot.
AZWINS will be held at the Ben Avery facility in Phoenix from February 24 to March 4th 2019.
There will be a website for the event which should be up and running within the next couple of weeks.
As soon as it is up and running I will post it.
This is the first broadside re the event and I will keep every one posted
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Western National Shoot R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:35:49 AM »
My brother lives 4 miles from the Ben Avery range, maybe I should go...
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 02:13:49 AM »
You really should Mike. 
Then we'd all have a reason to attend again.  It's a long way from Iowa.  And the weather much warmer.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:10:43 AM »
Mike.
 I just joined the ALR this spring. I had been lurking here for about three years before that.  One of the reasons I joined is because I usually get a kick out of what you have to say. It would be really great to meet you. So  I urge you to come. I will be there doing whatever has to be done to make it a success. I forgot to mention that we have the only Olympic quality Running Boar set up that's available to the public.
Hopefully I'll be able to shoot one match so I can say that I shot at the first ever AZWINS.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:36:23 AM »
Mr. Bill Loughrige will be ramrodding this event.  He has been running the Phoenix end of the now defunct Western Nationals for at least  the past ten years.
Who will be providing the "front money" to put this event on and who will stand the loss if it fails.  I've heard it was cancelled due to losses approaching $8k per event.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

sespe

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:17:38 AM »
We usually send a small group from out west.  If Mike shows, I'll have to attend for sure!

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 05:01:31 AM »
Who will be providing the "front money" to put this event on and who will stand the loss if it fails.  I've heard it was cancelled due to losses approaching $8k per event.
Well it didn't take long for negativity to come out on this subject.
I am not going to go into recriminations over why the NMLRA losses money.
They had a go at it for over twenty years and their day is done.
With all due respect, where the " seed money" comes from or who stands to lose, is none of your concern . It is Mr. Loghrige's concern.
The NMLRA financial problems are not going to end by the cancelling of the Western Nationals.
We are going to have a shoot. We have volunteers ready to step in to make this event happen.
We are planning on success.
For those who have never been to the now defunct Western Nationals. You will be in for a treat. The Ben Avery range is a World Class facility. It is one of the premier ranges in the United States.
I will end this post by quoting a line from one the late Jim Morrison's song "The West is the best , you get here and we will do the rest"

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »
Nicely done Guido!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline R.I.J.

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
I had the pleasure of attending this shoot 12 yrs ago. Totally mind blowing range! I would encourage anyone to make this a "winter get away' trip. My bet is that a smaller dedicated sponsor with less overhead will make this a great event. Best of luck.

Offline snapper

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
Alacran

I dont think TOF's questions were negative.  Just simple questions.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Well it didn't take long for negativity to come out on this subject.
There was nothing negative about my questions and they are legitimate concerns.  In the past, I have been involved in large scale events put on by volunteers and money has always been the chief concern.  Had we not had an organization to front the money until after the event was over, these events would not have happened.  I have also seen events fail because of the efforts of a single person, and invariably someone gets screwed.

The logistics of such an event is phenomenal.  Without the assistance of a large cadre of dedicated volunteers the event won't happen.  They are required not only for the long range planning, but also for the mundane jobs like manning the ranges, parking, camping, registration, etc.  Hidden expenses like advertising, event insurance, adequate porta potties, security, EMT's on hand for medical emergencies, etc. etc, etc.  It always comes down to people and money.   Any person who desires to lend his support to an event would want to know these things.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

chubby

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »
TOF I feel your question was with real concern, when these kind of events happen when they do not work is a loss for all of us!! I think the negativity came in the quote  back to you! I have been doing shoots and events since 1974, some clubs and events come and go. Keep up the positive and concern thinking!!  Chubby :) :)

Offline little joe

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
The 8k loss was most likely what it cost them to send there 3-4 folks there.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 06:57:38 PM »
As usual, being the "red headed step child", it seems that we out west are subjected to the reasoning of folks in the East.
Why the attacks on someone who's trying to keep up a tradition that the current organization seems to be unable maintain.
I guess time will tell, but those planning this are quite capable folk,  let's give them a chance.
If it doesn't work, you'll be able to rightly say "nanner, nanner.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:29:08 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline snapper

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 09:02:46 PM »
It would be nice to simply get back to discussing the topic, no one made any comments that should of been taken as negative and TOF clarified that.  Unruffle the feathers.   I think it is safe to assume that everyone on this forum hopes that the match is a huge success.

Looking forward to seeing more details of the shoot.

I dont know if I will make it or not, it is a long ways to AZ from Iowa, and the Oakridge TN match is just a few weeks from this match.

It is all about time and money.   I wont be retired by then....

If I had to share a ride with Mike Brooks I am not sure who's life would be changed. ;D

Fleener

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »
Ok lets get away from the East/West NBRSA/Local discussions or this topic will be locked or removed!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 11:49:43 PM »
Alacran,
Thank you for letting us know about a match in February being held on the Ben Avery range grounds. I’m looking forward to seeing the website for the event when it is up and running. As a potential participant I would also be interested to know what vendors are committing to attend. Part of my enjoyment at our shooting events comes from shopping and talking to vendors.
As things come together, I hope you’ll keep us in the loop.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 02:18:38 AM »
Sorry for any negativity I have added to this topic!
As you can tell, this is a touchy subject for those of us out west.
Again, I am sorry..... I don't want to detract from the good news.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
I will do my best to get to Phoenix and compete in this event.  And will volunteer my services for any place I can help out.

I was in Phoenix in February '07, and it was delightful - nice weather, not too overrun with snowbirds.  Will be a pleasure to experience once again.

Hmmmm.  Wonder if I can talk my old GF into accompanying me???  Probably not, as she has her eye on driving in the Rolex 24 at Daytona at that time frame.

Look forward to meeting a few of you there - and like Smallpatch said, it is a  long way from Ohio!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 08:47:20 PM »

I have been a NMLRA member for mucho years. 
 It is a great org.,   if you live in Indiana. 
 Not so much if you have to drive a long time to get  there.
Those Indiana guys should experience  driving for a full day or two or more to shoot.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:59:09 AM by crankshaft »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 02:46:17 AM »
Just got word the new shoot is being planed out right now. Some donations I think have already been pledged as well as a rifle for a benefit auction or raffel. Gun made by an ALR member I think.  :)

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 04:47:31 PM »
Just got word the new shoot is being planed out right now. Some donations I think have already been pledged as well as a rifle for a benefit auction or raffel. Gun made by an ALR member I think.  :)
The Arizona Winter Independent National Shoot , now has a website:  azmuzzleloading.com 
I checked it out yesterday after Bill Loughride informed me about it.
There is a rifle raffle in the works, I donated the rifle . I will post pictures of the rifle  on the gun building section today.
I will not give details  of the raffle, since I do not know what they will be. That is out of my hands.
Please check out the website. It has all the information that is currently concrete.
A flier is being finalized and I will submit it to Dennis Glazener once it is completed.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:53:15 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
I corrected the website address in the above reply.

-Ron
ALR Moderator
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline snapper

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
I was just at the website looking for dates and events.  None listed that I can find.   

I assume that the matches are still being planned to be held?  Only a couple of months away and nothing of use on the website.

Hard to look at or plan on going with no info.

Fleener

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson