Author Topic: Help me choose a first flintlock LR to shoot and hunt  (Read 11588 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Help me choose a first flintlock LR to shoot and hunt
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2018, 01:35:33 AM »
I've got the muzzleloader bug, and it's gotta be a flintlock. It also has to be a long rifle or other full stock design. Any recommendations on a good value? I'd use it for hunting (mostly deer), targets, and general powder burning. I think I've settled on starting with a long rifle style in .50 or .54 caliber, although I'm not ruling out other bore sizes as long as it's over .45 (the legal limit for MT hunting).

I've been eyeballing the Pedersoli line, particularly the "Frontier," which is sold by Cabela's as the "Blue Ridge" for $650 (with free shipping at the moment). I like the lines, the long barrel, and the reviews I've read. I've also been eyeing the Tennesee Valley Muzzleloading "Poor Boy" Tennessee or Southern Rifle, which cost over $400 more. If I can explore this project for less money, I'll prefer to, but I don't want to buy a gun that will just frustrate me (or an ugly gun ).

I'm not ruling out a kit build, but I'd feel better cutting my teeth on a gun that's already built. I also love smoothbore guns, like military muskets and the Fusil de Chasse, but I think it would be prudent to start hunting with a rifle and become proficient before I challenge myself with a smoothbore.

The only percussion guns I might consider are European Military styles like the 53 Enfield, but I'm really much more interested in a flintlock. Montana doesn't have a Muzzleloader season, so the only real incentive for me is the connection to history, so even though other muzzleloader designs might be more efficient, I'm not really interested. I want it old fashioned and purty. American Long Rifles, military style rifled muskets, trade guns...

So with that in mind, can anyone offer recommendations? What are good options for a reliable, attractive flinter with a full length wooden stock and a (fairly) authentic historical aesthetic and function? What is to be avoided and why? What do I need to know about and keep in mind? As I mentioned, low price is important - I don't think I can pay more than the cost of a TVM right now, and even that will involve selling off a modern gun or two - but so is having something attractive that won't be full of frustrations.

Don't worry - I won't hunt with anything that I haven't learned and practiced to proficiency.

I like 50 cal for deer, bigger is not needed and there is no difference in effect in my experience, and I have shot quite a few with 50-54 and a few with bigger calibers. 54 is OK for Elk but would rather use a 58 or larger. Anywhere near Yellowstone NP you may encounter a Gbear and they may come to the sound of the shot so.

Dan
  FYI
From MT FWP website:
Firearms, including rifles, handguns, shotguns
with 0, 00, or slugs, and muzzleloaders; archery
equipment; and crossbows are lawful for taking
game animals. All other methods of take are
prohibited.
• There is no rifle or handgun caliber limitation
or magazine/round capacity restrictions for the
taking of game animals.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 01:40:29 AM »
What part of MT are you living in?
 Dan

Offline Cossack

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 05:58:51 AM »
 Dan

Southwest, Near Twin Bridges - a few hours from Yellowstone. Bears are not unheard of, but run-ins are rare. There have been a few maulings in my area in the last few years, though.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
IF I were to have a custom rifle made and couldn't make my own lock,it would be
a walnut half stock with a 34-36 inch 58 caliber barrel by a reputable barrel maker,shotgun
buttplate,trigger guard with a bow big enough for a single trigger and a gloved finger
and a Chambers late Ketland lock.Single trigger with a feather spring to keep it in constant
contact with the sear arm.

Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
In general, always remember, you always get exactly what you pay for, and sometimes less.
I find this especially true in firearms and in MLer components as well..

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
 Dan

Southwest, Near Twin Bridges - a few hours from Yellowstone. Bears are not unheard of, but run-ins are rare. There have been a few maulings in my area in the last few years, though.

Please PM me with a phone or other contact info. There are some makers in Montana that you need to meet and one is pretty close to you. I am in Livingston. Several in Bozeman.
We also have a Montana Historical Gunmakers Guild that is a valuable knowledge resource for any maker or prospective maker. Have not gotten  copy of this years photo. We currently meet in Bozeman but things are on hold for hunting season. Next get together will be near Christmas.
I hunted for years with 50 and 54 flintlocks but now my right eye does not do well with iron sights, at least not for ethical hunting, and the VA has not decided I need surgery yet so..... I end up doing most of my shooting with a scope on a brass suppository gun..... Darn these "golden years" anyway..... But the alternative is worse.
Dan

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »
Hi Dan,
It is really nice to see that picture and notice Chuck Schwartz.  He and I were biologists together working for Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."