Author Topic: Horn Handle Knife  (Read 1767 times)

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
Horn Handle Knife
« on: September 14, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »
My latest blade finished:
forged 8" 1084 steel blade, turned horn handle, pewter filled iron bolster and end cap made from a liberty head silver dime
with through tang peened over.  Then I did some cold blue rubbed back with a brillo pad.

This is the first horn handle I have done it was interesting, good lord the smell when turning the horn wow.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:37:02 AM by WH1 »

Offline KC

Re: Horn Handle Knife
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
That's a great looking knife, I like the profile. The horn handle turned out well, it looks comfortable to hold.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:02 PM »
I like that one...I’m a big fan of through-tang construction.  The blade shape is nice too...sort of a “broken back” look.  I’ll bet it’s gonna be a nice performer.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline WH1

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:09:43 AM »
I like that one...I’m a big fan of through-tang construction.  The blade shape is nice too...sort of a “broken back” look.  I’ll bet it’s gonna be a nice performer.

Greg
I also have a preference for through tang construction.  The blade was straight when I finished draw filing and prepping for quench.  I then thermacycled it twice and quenched in Canola which was preheated but I did an edge quench which drew the blade down into the finished profile.  I also like this profile.  It has sharpened up very nicely and I like the way it feels in the hand.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
  Good job. Well done!

Offline WH1

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 05:57:09 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you for the comments nice to hear that I seem to be moving in the right direction.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
Very nice knife all around. Both the handle & blade complement each other. How thick is the blade at it's thickest part. I'm not asking about not wide but thickness of the steel?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline WH1

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
The blade is 3/16" thick x 8" long x 1 1/4" wide
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:35:35 PM by WH1 »

Chrisweiler

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 05:24:47 AM »
Handled this knife at Hershel houses this weekend, excellent feel, awesome stuff!