Author Topic: Too Fancy? (Po’ Boy Wood)  (Read 1679 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Too Fancy? (Po’ Boy Wood)
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:16:01 AM »
Guys I’m about to submit my order to TVM but have a question.

First I am going for a “poor boy” type rifle with a 42” long A-weight .40 caliber barrel, grease hole, no end cap, no side plate (just lock screws) and in general just a very simple rifle. But, I’d like some nice maple wood and love the looks of striped flame tiger maple.

Would getting premium maple wreck the authenticity of a poor boy type firearm? Did any original simple guns have nice maple, or should I go with plain maple or even walnut? Again, I’d love some pretty curly maple but if it isn’t HC/PC then maybe not.

Thoughts?  :-\

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Too Fancy? (Po’ Boy Wood)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 05:48:14 AM »
Any grade of maple will be good for the TVM kit. They are very builder friendly kits but if you are going for historically correct,  you will probably be disappointed in time. You can probably have them leave the cutout for the lock alone  and replace the siler lock but I’m not sure. 

Offline blienemann

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 05:58:18 AM »
Smokey,

The most amazing curly maple I've seen on an original was on very plain rifle in percussion at Jim Dresslar's home, a later and shorter plains rifle.  Definitely HC and PC to go as curly as you wish.  But focus on good lines for the rifle, no matter the wood.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 06:17:21 AM »
Guys I won’t be building it, I’ll be in Afghanistan and it’ll be something to look forward to when I make it home.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 07:04:41 AM »
They ( the buyer) used what was at hand and/or requested by the person who wanted the gun built.....  Nuff said.

Make your self happy..... I really like nice wood.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
Guys I won’t be building it, I’ll be in Afghanistan and it’ll be something to look forward to when I make it home.
God's speed to you. Thank you for your service. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. If you like fancy wood get fancy wood.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Goo

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
Buy the best piece of wood you can afford.  Since you wont be inletting any hardware theres no chance of foul ups on the metal to wood fit except the barrel tang and the lock.   If those are already cut you only need to get the stock slimmed down so it looks graceful.   The nice wood will be a treat for you when you get home.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »
Thanks for your service

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
Thanks for your service

Bigmon,
One of the finest pieces of walnut I ever laid eyes on was a half stock
TC "Hawken" that was owned by my father in law.
Order whatever turns your crank or floats your boat and enjoy it.

Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »
They ( the buyer) used what was at hand and/or requested by the person who wanted the gun built
What folks tend to forget is that most trees from then were still old growth trees.  What we use today could pretty much be considered saplings compared to them.  Almost all the wood was what we consider premium grade today.  Very little, if any, sapwood or plain.  Why would they fell a small tree when these were available?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
If I may add ,insist on the grain flowing though wrist meaning following the curve for maximum strength .

Given the choice of one or the other, lovely wood or perfect grain through the wrist ,
I'll take the  strong wrist especially on the thin wristed mountain rifle even with the reinforcing long tang .

If you can get both so much the better.
The thought that it might break, if not perfect ,drives me to distraction.

Lots of original Hawkens though of plain maple had great wood grain .And they survived the roughest kind of service . The Hawken shop had their priorities correct.   

Offline rsells

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »
I have seen examples of poor boy TN rifles with a nose cap or butt plate, but had extremely fine curly maple used in the stock.   If you like fancy wood, go with it.  You will  not be sorry for the decision.  The first one I made for myself was of very plain maple, and the very reason I made the second one was to get a rifle with a nice piece of curly maple.  Good luck with the rifle, and God be with you and bring you and your sisters and brothers home safe.
                                                                                                           Roger Sells

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »
I have seen several "po boys" in the literature that are made with exceptional pieces of wood.

Cory Joe Stewart

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 04:18:39 AM »
Guys THANK YOU for the kind words, it really means a lot to me. I am glad to hear originals had fancy maple on the poor boy type guns. I’ll be mindful of the wrist grain too and will put a note in with my order concerning it. Still deciding on whether to get a nose cap and toe plate. I don’t think I want an entry pipe, just prefer the looks without one, and of course simple browned iron mountings and lock bolts with no side plate and double set triggers. It will have a Chamber’s Late Ketland lock as well, I’m going for an early to mid 19th century styling. It will have a grease hole, too, and a brown wood finish.

I at first was set on a percussion rifle, but am pushed to the flinty side of the coin after reading countless remarks and observations on the pleasures and fun challenges of the flintlock. I am quite interested in the percussion period and some day would like to have a true caplock of the Ohio or Leman styling, but want to learn what so many enjoy in the flint guns!!

Thank you all so much again, I know I ask a lot of questions here but there are no finer or upstanding gentleman to ask than at this board!  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:19:40 AM by Smokey Plainsman »