Author Topic: Original Flask Mechanisim?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Scota4570

Original Flask Mechanisim?
« on: September 14, 2018, 09:41:53 PM »
The flask pictured has no mechanization to regulate the powder flow.  It never seems to have had a thumb lever.  I have suspected and iris was used but was removed later.  Anyone recognize this flask and/or can tell me how it worked?  I would like to fabricate the parts needed to make it work as designed.  Thanks,
Scot

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Original Flask Mechanisim?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:11:04 PM »
Hi Scott,
 it would definitely have  a lever and shut off.   Does it have the spring still?
The lever and shut -off were sandwiched between the two plates, no lever was mounted on the top, as this was a "fireproof" type, not a "common" top.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 10:41:44 PM »
Scota4570; Sir, "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK", by Ray Riling, Copyright 1953. First check, page 257, under "Patent Tops. Also check page #265 - 269, Flask Tops. I can't make out the letters on your flask top, in your pictures. However I may be able to come up with the identification from the flask body itself. Good luck. thanks for sharing your pictures. AJ.

Sir; your are the owner of a "Fluted Style"' flask and this  flask was sold with a Patent Style Top. Page # 282 second row # 262 flask. Your top is missing parts. Under at least (2) two other manufactures sold this style flask under the style "Shell".

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:58:56 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »
I know someone who has that book, I'll check. 

Anybody have pictures or drawings of the mechanism?

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:20:53 AM »
Scota4570; Sir, Parts shown on page 257 for the PATENT TOPS . plus Nomenclature of the 19th Century conventional flask.
If you send "PM" me your email address I'll send you some pictures. The Powder Flask Book. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »
Scota4570,
First Google images of a Hawksley powder flask. You will quickly see where the lever was before it was removed. I have had one apart exactly once. The spring was round wire, as opposed to the flat spring on a common flask, and was completely internal between the two plates. I would take mine apart for pictures but am afraid of breaking the spring. It was fiddly to get back together. If I can find a pic of the internals, I'll send a PM
J.B.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 05:03:14 PM »
JBJ,

Some if not many of these safety or "fireproof": types had a flat spring in the top.
Some had an external spring as well, set  between the two caps, see photo.

Best,
R.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
Richard,
You are very much correct. It is hard to tell from Scota's pics where the lever was placed (cannot see any cutouts or notches). In the pic below from my Hawksley flask you can see the the lever cutout and the lack of external spring. Thanks.
J.B.

Offline Scota4570

Re: Original Flask Mechanisim, reproduced?
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 10:13:05 PM »
I played with it a while and made a working mechanism.  I also made the rings and cotter pins.  This flask has been in the family a very long time.  My guess it that it belonged to my great grandfather.  Now it is ready to be used again. 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 04:42:14 AM »
Nice.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:30:19 AM »
I'm very pleased you have it running again, Scota!  Good job.

Offline msellers

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
You did some fine work there, and making it back into a useable heirloom. Your family is and will be proud to keep this, I would definitely hope.
Mike

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
The flask pictured has no mechanization to regulate the powder flow.  It never seems to have had a thumb lever.  I have suspected and iris was used but was removed later.  Anyone recognize this flask and/or can tell me how it worked?  I would like to fabricate the parts needed to make it work as designed.  Thanks,
Scot

These two images may be of some help

Feltwad

url=https://ibb.co/irh9Xq][/url]

AStand Of Powder
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:20:48 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
Are the brass cotter pins soldered in? I’d be wary of even a pretty tight mechanical fit where powder is involved.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 05:37:25 AM »
Hoss,
I was wondering about cotter pins.  Never saw any in flasks.  Where do they go?
Screws, yes.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 09:27:37 PM »
I think that Scott is referring to the the loops that go through the sides of the flask that retain the rings for attaching carrying cords or straps. All I have seen were beautifully (as in very neatly) soldered in place. They were not just a mechanical fit which I am sure would allow moisture into the flask. Nice to see an old flask put into serviceable condition. Well done.
J.B.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 07:26:50 AM »
JB,

Ah! Now That makes sense!   I was thinking solely of the flask top.
I don't know it this flask had side rings, but I never use them anyway. Like the flask in my pocket where no sparks can get at it.  ;)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
The only original flask I ever owned, with any kind of a ring, was a big old shotgun flask. It was British made, and had one large ring in the bottom. Hanging charger down, it wasn’t so likely to catch a live spark that way.
 I have a replica military flask that has side rings, but, to be quite candid it scares the devil out of me. So, I took the shoulder strap off of it, and carry it in a pocket instead.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »
H-Horse,
I think I only have one British flask with side rings, and it could be suspended upside down.
I think mostly they were carried in a pocket with a flap.   (sounds a good idea!)  That's how I carry mine.

In Feltwad's photo above, I only see one with rings, (looks French) and it too is to be suspended upside down.

R.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 05:08:39 AM »
This flask had the "cotter pins"  loose not soldered.  I did not see any solder residue on them.  The original rings were missing.   When I removed the cotter pins to install new rings they broke.  I made new cotter pins and rings.  I made it the way it was, no solder. 

I have, and use, another family original.  It has two rings on each side of the flask.  I never considered carrying it up side down.  It is and interesting idea. 

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
This flask had the "cotter pins"  loose not soldered.  I did not see any solder residue on them.  The original rings were missing.   When I removed the cotter pins to install new rings they broke.  I made new cotter pins and rings.  I made it the way it was, no solder. 

I have, and use, another family original.  It has two rings on each side of the flask.  I never considered carrying it up side down.  It is and interesting idea.
Enclosed are images of powder flasks with the carrying loops which maybe of some help
Feltwad
English Fowling Flask throws large loads
[/url
Continental Powder Flask
[url=https://ibb.co/gPdQSA]

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:49:45 PM by Feltwad »