Author Topic: 40 caliber hunting load  (Read 4800 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: 40 caliber hunting load
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 12:02:52 AM »
While the .40 is light for deer hunting, the problem in using it isn't the ability of the hunter to put a shot in the boiler room; if one can't do that, a .54 won't help.  Shot distance should be the primary consideration.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

rfd

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:26 AM »
While the .40 is light for deer hunting, the problem in using it isn't the ability of the hunter to put a shot in the boiler room; if one can't do that, a .54 won't help.  Shot distance should be the primary consideration.

this harks back to those who'll bring up the aleutians killing moose with a .22 rimfire.   

lightweight calibers increase the need to drop the pretenses and recognize yer worth as a hunter who can get really close to their prey, and be a good, ethical shot whilst in those hunting venue conditions.

a .40 for mule deer will require a lot more hunting skills and flat out luck.   one could put in the time and effort to train with a .40, as well as recognize some shots will need to be passed up.  one might also wanna compare the cost of such a hunt versus its expected outcome.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
I had Getz make me a .40, 1:66 twist transition barrel back many years ago.  It likes a light load of 40 gr for squirrels and a heavy load of 90 grs FFFg for deer.  Though I will admit I think a .40 is a bit light I have taken three deer with it.  All went down within 20 yards of the shot.  Two were neck shot and one was a heart lung shot.

The 90 gr load with a .395 patched Speer RB will shoot through a hardened disk coulter at 75 yards...... Cuts a perfectly round hole.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
Bruce,

the above  is good information for the opening poster.
Keep the range down, and only take a good shot.