Author Topic: Just out - Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains by Randal Pierce  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
I received my copy of Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains by Randal Pierce in yesterday's mail and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I have the KRA CD showing these rifles but its more enjoyable to me to have a full color book showing these guns along with a written narrative about the builder. In addition to the high quality color photos, Randal has made available key measurements of each rifle/pistol. The measurement are shown in a chart in the final pages of the book.

The book also contains photos/text for 4 southern mountain pistols and 3 original bag/horn sets. Like the rifles, the pistols and bag sets have a narrative about the makers of each.

If you enjoy southern mountain rifles I feel sure you would enjoy owning a copy of Randal's new book. See this link for ordering information: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=50941.0

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Just out - Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains by Randal Pierce
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:08:51 AM »
I met him at CLA - was a very enthusiastic and pleasant fellow. Had a great display. Going to check this one out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:32:45 AM »
And best of all Randal is an ALR member.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:03:31 AM »
 ;) ;)... just talked with Randall on Sunday,... will pick up my copy next Friday at the Cades Cove "Old Timers Day" in Townsend,... !!! Randall is a great guy and works hard to research and document these Tennessee rifles,.... BTW,... only one month remains to view the exhibit ...

untitled 6 lyrics

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:25:28 AM »
I received my cooy yesterday and emailed Randal congratulating him on a wonderful book that raises the bar for future longrifle books.  It contains all color photographs by Kenneth Orr.   In addition, the book includes a chart with detailed dimensions for each of the guns depicted.  For anyone interested in Southern mountain rifles, Randal’s book is a must have!
Wayne Elliott

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 06:26:29 AM »
I would love to have a copy!
Dennis, do you now if Mr.Pierce will send one to Germany or is there another way to get it?
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline VP

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
I also received my copy yesterday. Spent some time reviewing it last night. It is a great work by Randal. The photos, by Kenneth Orr, are placed on a while background and very appealing and show all the necessary photos of each rifle. The write up on each gunsmith is very well done and a great resource. The collecting community certainly needed this book and by Randal including all the critical dimensions of each rifle makes it valuable to gun builders also. Great job Randal!

VP

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »
Chris,
I just sent Randal an email asking about shipping one to you. I do know that I recently sent one of my books about the same size to Europe and I think it ran close to $20 for shipping alone, might have been a little less but I was surprised how much it was.
Dennis

Dennis, do you now if Mr.Pierce will send one to Germany or is there another way to get it?

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
Chris,
I just sent Randal an email asking about shipping one to you. I do know that I recently sent one of my books about the same size to Europe and I think it ran close to $20 for shipping alone, might have been a little less but I was surprised how much it was.
Dennis

Dennis, thank you, Randal already sent my an email.
The shipping costs to Europe are horrible indeed, but since I have to buy almost all of
my books in the USA, I am kind of "used to it"....

Chris
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:38:22 AM by Chris_B »

Offline scottmc

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »
Is there a phonecontact for Mr. Pierce?  I'm heading down to the Appalachian museum Monday and will be in the area till Wednesday.  Didn't know if his home is located in that eastern area or not that I could pick one up while there.
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 04:41:41 PM »
I just did a search and see the heritage center is only an hour from where I'll be.  Guess I'll go down and see the exhibit and get the book there if it's for sale.
Remember Paoli!

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:34 PM »
 ;) ;)... it's a "MUST HAVE" book, boys,.... !!!   better get one,... Regards,.. Cades Cove Fiddler ...

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:48:20 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Jason C

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 09:33:58 PM »
My wife and I are in the area on our anniversary(22) and just left the museum a few minutes ago. Really cool display. I was hoping they might have the books there, but no dice.

Offline HIB

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 05:50:55 AM »
Gentlemen and ladies- When my wife picks up a gun book and says "Wow"!! Than I knew there was great material to be read when it came my turn to look at Randal's new essay on Southern Mountain rifles.
The book truly fits right on the high end of "Wow". Elaine was right !     Regards, HIB
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:54:42 AM by HIB »

Offline scottmc

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 04:05:59 AM »
Just visited the heritage center today and was very impressed with the display.  Was also very fortunate to have Mr. Pierce come over and deliver a book and take me through the display and provide all kinds of great information.  He's extremely knowledgeable and a super nice guy on top of that.  It made my trip from PA totally worthwhile!  And now I also know what Cades Cove is.  What a place to visit.  Fiddler, if this where u live, i hope you know how good you have it😎😉
Remember Paoli!

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 07:32:11 PM »
 ;) ;)... scottmc,... Glad you enjoyed the Heritage Center and display,...you were most fortunate to meet Randal and get a personal tour,... He is a fine fellow and does much to research and promote these Tennessee rifles we admire so much,... you should make it a goal to attend the Knoxville Tennessee Rifle Show in the spring sometime,... it is THE BEST for vintage Tennessee Rifles,....Come back to our Smoky Mountains anytime,...... truly God's Country,.... Regards, Cades Cove Fiddler,.... (photo is me holding the #4 on the display disc,  B. BEAN  rifle at the blacksmith shop , Cable mill, in Cades Cove...)

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 10:53:48 PM »
That ain’t no token hillbilly holding that shooting iron. He’s the real deal! Looking good Dana ;)
Stop Marxism in America

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 12:10:37 AM »
 ;);) ;D.... HaHaHa,....Wayne, I usually have my picture made with Linda or a fine rifle so the picture looks good,.... !!!

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 02:51:35 AM »
TOKEN HILLBILLY !!!!!!!1HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! Now ,that's funny,y'all .Reckon whar he stashes them Tokens?
Be a tokin fo sho up in them Hills. Juggin,too !!.Best o them ree gards. Dave F
nope,aint got to my jug jist yet,be on the way,tho. 8) 8) 8)

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
I just received my copy, it took USPS and the Deutsche Post only 4 days to deliver it....
I am so proud and happy to have it, it is wonderful!
Since there are not many American longrifles around over here (as you may guess),
the better it is to have good books and this one really is one of my favorites.
Randal, thank you a lot for putting a big smile on my face!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 03:37:31 AM »
Chris, I agree with you!!  My trip will end tomorrow back In PA but it peaked today with a spontaneous visit to Mr. Byrd outside Unicoi City.  All I can say is...WOW!  He was nice enough to show his collection to me and I don't know if I was dead and in heaven or simply dreaming but either way, it was beautiful!!  This man was a true gentleman and very knowledgeable about these southern guns as well as other related historical topics.  I couldn't thank him enough for his accomodation on such short notice.  I've got to own one of these original mountain rifles or I'm going to go crazy.🤑
Remember Paoli!

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
 ;) ;)..... Scottmc,...you seem to have hit the jackpot on your Tennessee visit,... !!! ...  Dave does have one of the best gatherings of Unicoi Co. rifles anywhere,...he knows his stuff and is happy to share his knowledge,....guess you will just have to come to Knoxville next Spring,......glad you enjoyed your trip,....CCF,...

Offline scottmc

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
CCF....that is my goal at this point.  Would like to meet you and all the rest of the fellers that have the same addiction problem that I do😎😎.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Angus

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 04:23:54 AM »
Tremendous books, fantastic photos! I will be spending hours scourin ovr the pics. One of the few reasons I open a book anymore.😁