Author Topic: Flintlock Rifle and Pistols by Doc Abbey  (Read 2582 times)

Offline fundukj

Flintlock Rifle and Pistols by Doc Abbey
« on: September 19, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
Very nice flintlock rifle and two pistols by Doc Abbey from Uniontown, PA. Built in the 1970s. The rifle has a .32 caliber, 42″ barrel. He was a collector and a builder. That's the only information I have; additional info appreciated. Full disclosure: these guns are mine and they're for sale elsewhere. Thanks. John

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Flintlock Rifle and Pistols by Doc Abbey
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
Pretty much contemporary typical 1970’s work. Not a copy of any specific gunsmith or school. The pistols look like they were patterned off of contemporary maker Hacker Martins work. All suffer from poor locks, which is pretty typical of the period. They appear to be in good condition. The quality of the barrels could make all the difference in the world, when it comes to current value.

Hungry Horse

Offline fundukj

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  Interestingly, the pistol with the full name and town appears to be made with an original barrel. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »
Really nice work, good craftsmanship.  And he didn't have this great forum to help him along!
I would not turn away from any of the three.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
Pretty much contemporary typical 1970’s work. Not a copy of any specific gunsmith or school. The pistols look like they were patterned off of contemporary maker Hacker Martins work. All suffer from poor locks, which is pretty typical of the period. They appear to be in good condition. The quality of the barrels could make all the difference in the world, when it comes to current value.

Hungry Horse

I think HH has it right.Good workmanship/inletting/fit of butt plate and all 3 locks worth about
$40 including shipping.

Bob Roller