Author Topic: Longrifle makers in Asheville, NC  (Read 4452 times)

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
Longrifle makers in Asheville, NC
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »
Gentlemen,

I'm new here but have long had an interest in early American arms. I was gifted a Pedersoli Brown Bess by my father on my 19th birthday and we then spent a week touring New England battlefield sites and enjoying our mutual love of that period. I enjoy the Bess, but the American longrifle has long been my specific interest. Until the day that I can buy or build a very nice one to become a family piece, I'll be reading here, learning what I can, and possibly getting more into black powder shooting by buying a Traditions Hawken rifle so I don't have to sully my pretty Pedersoli.

All that aside, my wife and I will be going to Asheville, NC at the beginning of November. I'd like to visit any longrifle shops/builders out there when we go. I've used Google but wanted to get y'all's opinion as well. Are there any worth visiting? Is that even possible?

Thanks.

Offline Jason C

Re: Longrifle makers in Asheville, NC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
Gentlemen,

I'm new here but have long had an interest in early American arms. I was gifted a Pedersoli Brown Bess by my father on my 19th birthday and we then spent a week touring New England battlefield sites and enjoying our mutual love of that period. I enjoy the Bess, but the American longrifle has long been my specific interest. Until the day that I can buy or build a very nice one to become a family piece, I'll be reading here, learning what I can, and possibly getting more into black powder shooting by buying a Traditions Hawken rifle so I don't have to sully my pretty Pedersoli.

All that aside, my wife and I will be going to Asheville, NC at the beginning of November. I'd like to visit any longrifle shops/builders out there when we go. I've used Google but wanted to get y'all's opinion as well. Are there any worth visiting? Is that even possible?

Thanks.

You might contact Jim and Barbie Chambers and see if they are going to be around while you're there. http://www.flintlocks.com/index.htm

Great folks to talk to and/or do business with.

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »
One of the NMLRA reps is having a dinner with a program and display on TN mountain rifles in Lenore City (Not sure if I have the spelling correct, just West of Knoxville, TN) on Oct. 27th.  Not sure how many local builders are going to be present, but the displays will be contemporary as well as original rifles.  If you are interested, send me a note at rbpodge@twlakes.net and I will get the info for you.  I will have a couple original TN rifles and three contemporary rifles on display at the meeting.
                                                                                                      Roger Sells

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:08:54 PM »
I know fellas that shoot Bess' and other smooth bores better than others shoot rifles.  Try using that Bess until you aquire a rifle.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 11:41:55 PM »
Have to chime in with Bigmon.
If you can access real black powder and correct roundballs, by all means shoot that Bess..!!
You’ve got some learning to do, and that Bess is a good place to start.
A lot of what you will learn is going to apply directly to your next rifle and shooting your Bess won’t hurt it a bit.
Welcome, and ENJOY..!!
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 11:46:57 PM »
You might contact Jim and Barbie Chambers and see if they are going to be around while you're there. http://www.flintlocks.com/index.htm

Great folks to talk to and/or do business with.

Thanks for the tip! I'll look them up.

One of the NMLRA reps is having a dinner with a program and display on TN mountain rifles in Lenore City (Not sure if I have the spelling correct, just West of Knoxville, TN) on Oct. 27th.  Not sure how many local builders are going to be present, but the displays will be contemporary as well as original rifles.  If you are interested, send me a note at rbpodge@twlakes.net and I will get the info for you.  I will have a couple original TN rifles and three contemporary rifles on display at the meeting.
                                                                                                      Roger Sells

Unfortunately we won't be in Asheville until the 1st at the earliest. Sounds fascinating though. Reminds me I need to go to the CLA convention here in Lexington next year. Thanks for the offer!

I know fellas that shoot Bess' and other smooth bores better than others shoot rifles.  Try using that Bess until you aquire a rifle.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

I'd love to, but this thing has the super shiny unprotected barrel. I come from the modern centerfire world, so that kind of unprotected metal gives me the heebie-jeebies. I have to shoot real black powder in it because it somehow doesn't like Pyrodex etc, which makes it worse. And then cleaning it is quite a pain.

My dad gave it to me as an heirloom, so I'm thinking I might just get a Traditions Hawken kit or similar and do two things at once: 1. learn how to build a rifle and work with scrollwork, etc and 2. give myself a "beater" rifle to enjoy.

But that's another topic...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:48:32 PM by kentuckyrifleman »

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:47:50 PM »
If you can access real black powder and correct roundballs, by all means shoot that Bess..!!
A lot of what you will learn is going to apply directly to your next rifle and shooting your Bess won’t hurt it a bit.
Welcome, and ENJOY..!!

You two aren't the first ones to tell me that.  :) Sigh. I need to find a ML group around here and get involved.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 12:57:59 AM »
My dad gave it to me as an heirloom, so I'm thinking I might just get a Traditions Hawken kit or similar and do two things at once: 1. learn how to build a rifle and work with scrollwork, etc and 2. give myself a "beater" rifle to enjoy.
Take a serious look at one of the Kibler kits. Never put together a Traditions kit but I doubt they would be as easy at the Kibler SMR. Never put together one of his Lancaster but I bet its just as easy.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks.

Here in the Asheville area we have the French Broad Rifles club where we shoot muzzleloaders exclusively. Go to wwwfrenchbroadrifles.com and check the shoot dates in November. If you're going to be in town then, pay us a visit. Perhaps some members can steer you to one. Off hand other than Jim Chambers, who indeed is a fine fellow, I don't know of any local builders. Oh by the way. Bring your musket.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 09:00:12 PM »
If you live in Lexington, KY your are about less than 2 1/2 hours from Mike Miller in Edmonton Ky. You won't meet a finer man or gun maker.

Bill

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »
Take a serious look at one of the Kibler kits. Never put together a Traditions kit but I doubt they would be as easy at the Kibler SMR. Never put together one of his Lancaster but I bet its just as easy.
Dennis

Thanks for the tip! I've heard of the Kibler kits a good bit since starting to lurk on this board. Like you said—pricey—but probably better.

Gentlemen,

Thanks.

Here in the Asheville area we have the French Broad Rifles club where we shoot muzzleloaders exclusively. Go to wwwfrenchbroadrifles.com and check the shoot dates in November. If you're going to be in town then, pay us a visit. Perhaps some members can steer you to one. Off hand other than Jim Chambers, who indeed is a fine fellow, I don't know of any local builders. Oh by the way. Bring your musket.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a peek at the calendar and see what's around.

If you live in Lexington, KY your are about less than 2 1/2 hours from Mike Miller in Edmonton Ky. You won't meet a finer man or gun maker.

Bill

Yep, I'm near Lexington. I'll definitely go see him! Thanks again.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 05:22:02 AM »
If you're going to be in Asheville and considering a longrifle kit I would definitely check with Jim and Barbie.  Their kits may require a bit more to assemble than a Kibler kit, but they offer a number of excellent choices to pick from and they feature top quality components.

By the way, I'm an hour from Lexington.  Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline JW

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
Welcome, and ENJOY..!!

You two aren't the first ones to tell me that.  :) Sigh. I need to find a ML group around here and get involved.

That Pedersoli was meant to be shot. Most of the muzzleloaders I've owned have polished barrels and locks as the finish as were many (if not most) originals. I prefer it on rifles and smoothbores. It's just my preference. Black powder is water soluble while pyrodex isn't. Contrary to what salesmen and know-it-alls will tell you, black powder is not more corrosive than modern powders. Quite the contrary, actually. We just deal with more fowling due to the nature of the type of gun we're shooting. While there's a million and one tips you'll get from folks on the best cleaning method to use on a long-barreled (flintlock) muzzleloader, most will generally concede that it can be a very simple job with minimal tools and supplies.

I'll give you one quick tip that took me years to learn: for the outside of your barrel and all steel parts, the absolute best protection is Johnson Wax paste. One container will last forever and is way more durable than gun oil for outside the barrel and lock (and works on your stock as well).

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »
JW, agree 100% with you about Johnson's Paste wax.  I use it on about everything that needs some protection, including the working surface on table saw, bandsaw, and drill press.  I go through one of those cans about every 3 years.

I agree with the others about black powder - just ain't an acceptable substitute available!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 06:07:31 AM »
Welcome, and ENJOY..!!

That Pedersoli was meant to be shot. Most of the muzzleloaders I've owned have polished barrels and locks as the finish as were many (if not most) originals. I prefer it on rifles and smoothbores. It's just my preference. Black powder is water soluble while pyrodex isn't. Contrary to what salesmen and know-it-alls will tell you, black powder is not more corrosive than modern powders. Quite the contrary, actually. We just deal with more fowling due to the nature of the type of gun we're shooting. While there's a million and one tips you'll get from folks on the best cleaning method to use on a long-barreled (flintlock) muzzleloader, most will generally concede that it can be a very simple job with minimal tools and supplies.

I'll give you one quick tip that took me years to learn: for the outside of your barrel and all steel parts, the absolute best protection is Johnson Wax paste. One container will last forever and is way more durable than gun oil for outside the barrel and lock (and works on your stock as well).

This is very helpful to hear. Thank you gents. Next I need to learn cleaning. Part of the reason I don't shoot this thing as often is that it's a 1.5-2hr project to clean it.

On Pyrodex...I guess I'm in luck. My Bess won't ignite the stuff so it's GOEX only for me.

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:03 AM »
If you're going to be in Asheville and considering a longrifle kit I would definitely check with Jim and Barbie.  Their kits may require a bit more to assemble than a Kibler kit, but they offer a number of excellent choices to pick from and they feature top quality components.

By the way, I'm an hour from Lexington.  Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...sending you an email.