Author Topic: Simply Southern  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Carper

Simply Southern
« on: September 22, 2018, 04:47:45 AM »
Thought you might enjoy this homemade rifle.  Real simple flat hinge on the box. Brazed two piece buttplate, brazed triggerguard and a black walnut stock. Original  southwestern Va horn. The gun is about 12 years old. It’s a big rifle with a 1” barrel

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:51:33 AM by Carper »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Simply Southern
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
 :o :o.... very nice rifle, Carper,... you should move to Tennessee and build that style rifle,..... it fits here,... !!! ... btw,... nice JB Stetson, too,... I'm a "hat man" from way back, and appreciate a nice bound-edge Stetson,... !!! ... thanx for this post,... regards, CCF,...

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 02:45:37 PM »
Good looking rifle an rig. I would love to see more of it if you have more pics an dont mind posting
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:46:43 PM »
Same here, more views. I like this one V much!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:50:46 PM »
I’ll agree with all that’s been said, and add great pictures. Why people insist on getting all artsy and photographing a beautiful longrifle on a busy background like a wood pile, or a rock pile, or a dark wall or fence, that obliterates all the trigger, and triggerguard detail, I’ll never know.

Hungry Horse

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
 ;) ;).... two "left clicks" with mouse courser over the image will bring photo enlargement almost "life-size" to study detail,... !!!

Offline Carper

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I hope when the Lord moves me from Alaska that I can someday return to the hills. We are getting ready to construct 5 of the Kibler kits and then have a regular old time shooting match right on the coast here. These will be built and then shot by folks who have never really seen a flintlock before. I’ll show lots of pictures so you all can be right here with us if you want. Btw if you wonder how will a life time of shooting these old black powder rifles will steady you when a boar grizzly goes on a killing spree in your hog pen and then takes offense and charges you , I can say you will be fine. I wish I could say the same for the hog and the bear. This rifle was the first one my apprentice made and rifled.  He is an excellent marksman and the rifle does it’s part too.

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
The rifles you recently posted just say Dixie to me. Very very nice, makes me want to eat some grits.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline cable

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
great looking rifle !  interesting story too ; have often wondered about that very thing.

any picture of the bear ?

[ I am a long transplanted smokey mountain boy , here in Alaska too ]

Offline Carper

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 11:12:11 PM »
Send me your email address and I’ll send you a few pics of bear, hogs, etc.  My email is foxchasefarm@icloud.com