Author Topic: Suirrel Rifle, old or not?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Chris_B

Suirrel Rifle, old or not?
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
I aquired that little rifle some weeks ago.
The guy I got it from said it is pretty old, he mentioned early percussion era.
I am not that sure, what do you think?
It is signed F Smith on the lock and on the barrel in script.
Overall length is 50,5", barrel 34,3", approx. .30 cal 

the use of aluminium

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:17:40 AM by Chris_B »
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Online Hungry Horse

Re: Suirrel Rifle, old or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »
Appears to be a very late percussion squirrel rifle in either excellent original condition, or nicely restored.
 Aluminum was considered a precious metal during this period. In fact some of the royal Crown Jewels during this period in some countries were mounted in aluminum.

Hungry Horse

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:53:56 PM »
The rifling appears to be the old style of wide lands and narrow grooves that was so popular in the 19th century. Today most every one uses equal lands and equal grooves in their barrels. Also the lock has the "Nut and Spindle" (I think they call it) arrangement securing the hammer usually only found on higher quality English firearms of that same period. Rarely found on American pieces. The architecture is perfect for a 19 century  American percussion rifle. There are six gunsmiths in Sellers book with the Initials F Smith.   I would vote that you have a fine original pierce from the 19th century. Now go POP A SQUIRREL!!!!!...IMHO,,,Ed
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:57:05 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
Aluminum was considered a precious metal during this period.

That aluminum link is added by the image posting software, not the poster.  You will often notice these oddballs links between pictures on the forum.  That code is inserted after the picture code and can be deleted by highlighting it and hitting the backspace key.  I wouldn't recommend clicking on any of those links as they seem to come from all over the world and one will invariably lead to a virus site.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »
I would look at any books about New York gun makers to find F. Smith.     The style along with the brass trigger were common New York state features.   My vote is on it being an antique rifle that has either been stored and used little or has been cleaned up.
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 01:27:49 AM »
Somewhere I have a picture of another late period F Smith rifle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
Somewhere I have a picture of another late period F Smith rifle.

I would love to see it!
I will check my books looking in the New York direction, but maybe you know more about Mr.Smith?

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
Aluminum was considered a precious metal during this period.

That aluminum link is added by the image posting software, not the poster.  You will often notice these oddballs links between pictures on the forum.  That code is inserted after the picture code and can be deleted by highlighting it and hitting the backspace key.  I wouldn't recommend clicking on any of those links as they seem to come from all over the world and one will invariably lead to a virus site.

Right, that one was not posted by me, I even did not notice it until right now...

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »
Chris:
  NYS Firearms Trade (Swinney/Rowe) list a Frederick Smith  (b. Dec. 1808; d. Feb. 27,1889). Census records have him in Springport, N.Y.
Several examples of his rifles are noted to have "F Smith" in script on the barrel.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
Chris:
  NYS Firearms Trade (Swinney/Rowe) list a Frederick Smith  (b. Dec. 1808; d. Feb. 27,1889). Census records have him in Springport, N.Y.
Several examples of his rifles are noted to have "F Smith" in script on the barrel.

Steve, thank you, that could be him! Unfortunately I do not have the NYS -Volumes in my literature...

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 03:56:34 PM »
Interesting to note on your F Smith rifle th two cheek pieces. I have a couple of Ohio rifles with that.
Mark
Mark

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »
I have a W.H. Brown late fullstocked percussion with double beaver tail cheek pieces. He worked in Penn. and Calif. so I’m not sure where this style was popular.

Hungry Horse

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 06:24:46 AM »
Is there any practical reason for the two cheek pieces or is it just for the looks?

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 07:10:15 AM »
I have a W.H. Brown late fullstocked percussion with double beaver tail cheek pieces. He worked in Penn. and Calif. so I’m not sure where this style was popular.

Hungry Horse
I too have a W. H. Brown fullstock percussion rifle, and once owned another one. The maker of mine was William H. Brown, who was born in New Jersey and was working in Perrysville, Fountain County, Indiana, by 1846, and was still there in 1859. In 1880 he was listed as a gunsmith in Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois, which is only about twelve miles from Perrysville. My rifle has only one cheekpiece, but I suspect that yours might be by the same W. H. Brown. I have several rifles by Illinois makers that have a double cheekpiece. This was done to accommodate either a right or left handed shooter.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »
I find it most interesting, walnut stock? and set up for both right and left handed shooters. I bet there is a really interesting story behind the two cheek pieces.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !