Author Topic: October Smoothbore Postal Match  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Maven

October Smoothbore Postal Match
« on: September 25, 2018, 01:38:20 AM »
As per D. Taylor Sapergia's suggestion, there will be an October SB Postal Match.  All you've got to do is take 5 shots at the linked target at 25 yd. or meters and post a photo/pic of it here.  This is just for fun, and the results thus far, e.g., September, have been wonderful, but the comments even better.  Hope to see your targets here, and have fun!  Paul.

Here's a link to the target, courtesy of long cruise & Dennis G.:  http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/ALR_25_yd_postal.pdf  5 shots, as per past practice.
Paul W. Brasky

John Ciccone

Re: October Smoothbore Postal Match
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »
In your postal matches, is there a specified caliber? I won't be able to shoot the smooth bore match this month, as I don't have a SB musket,  but I am interested in future matches. I assume you are shooting rifles only. Is there any consideration for a pistol match in the future? If there is, I would suggest the 25 and 50 meter International target. They have it reduced for yards. You could have one match for 25 and a second one for 50 yards. The International target is challenging, I know, I shoot lousy on it all of the time :-).

One thing that might appeal to people is shooting the target as they do in International matches. Shoot 13 shots, no sighters. Count the best 10 for score.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:18:47 PM by John Ciccone »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:38:00 PM »
No rifles in a smoothbore match. I guess you meant long gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 02:56:57 AM »
As per D. Taylor Sapergia's suggestion, there will be an October SB Postal Match.  All you've got to do is take 5 shots at the linked target at 25 yd. or meters and post a photo/pic of it here.  This is just for fun, and the results thus far, e.g., September, have been wonderful, but the comments even better.  Hope to see your targets here, and have fun!  Paul.

Here's a link to the target, courtesy of long cruise & Dennis G.:  http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/ALR_25_yd_postal.pdf  5 shots, as per past practice.

Is this for pistols or long gun?

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
Taylor suggested we do a pistol match for October. I don't think that target is a good one for pistol. But I will shoot anything as long as it is downrange.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Maven

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
I guess I didn't read Taylor's post completely as this is what he wrote:  "Who's up for a pistol postal match for October?  Same target.  Same range. Offhand, of course."

Not wishing to add to the confusion, suppose we do both a smoothbore match and a pistol match for October.  If so, and you wish to participate, just label your targets accordingly and yes, you can submit a target for each type.  Btw, I'd have no trouble using the "official" target with either firearm.  Hitting it, however, is another matter.

Sorry for the confusion! :-[
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:09:22 PM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »
I'd be up for a pistol match!
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 08:19:45 PM »
Our standard target is fine for PISTOL shooting, but the scores will not be as high, I'm afraid.  Will be interesting to see.  Good idea to post a picture of the pistol with the target.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Maven

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 11:27:14 PM »
Taylor, Would a BP cap and ball revolver be OK for the October match?  All I have is a ca. 1975 Ruger Old Army, but it has an adjustable rear sight (which I haven't adjusted in years and don't intend to now)?
Paul W. Brasky

Offline alacran

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »
The only advantage you have with a revolver is that you can fire 6 shots without changing your position. So if you load one shot at a time you will be in par with every one else. I have no problems with revolvers.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 11:44:11 PM »
Gents,

I had a bit of time for a play recently, so tried a couple of pistols.

One is a William Bailes, made pre 1750 and converted to percussion sometime much later. It's a Queen Anne style with turn off barrel.
It shoots High!  ... as in, belt buckle hold would produce a chest hit at maybe 10 or 20 yards, but at 25 yards it seems it would  to be a neck -high hit!
It holds 40 grs of powder in the chamber, then a .61 cal ball, then the  barrel screws on and that is about a 22 bore, or roughly .60 cal.
It seems Very powerful, but might not be best for this match!  (I'd need an aiming target and a hitting target !)
Address on it is Russell Street, Bloomsbury, (In Camden Town), London.
Russell street was off Tyburn Road, and I believe that road became the Strand.

The other I tried is by a "Smith" (one of many in London)  made late 18th/early 19th C and also coverted to detonator.
It's a 16 bore and only had some .61 cal balls at biggest.   Shot 3 into an 8" black, then things went pear-shaped and remainder were all over!  High of course, but all over.
Need some better wadding than paper I think, and my deer tallowed patches for the 10-bore musket were a bit big!  They'd stick to the balls or whing them off target a bit, even when I cut them down at the muzzle.

So, I might not be ready for this match yet!! But I Did enjoy myself!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 06:25:17 AM »
That sounds like a blast, Richard.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V