Author Topic: To pick or not to pick, that is the question  (Read 3167 times)

Offline MuskratMike

To pick or not to pick, that is the question
« on: September 27, 2018, 01:54:56 AM »
Much of what I read now but don't see much of is people plugging their vent holes with vent picks, quills, or toothpicks while reloading. Not sure what this accomplishes? After the shot I blow down the barrel to moisten the fouling and prove the vent is not obstructed. At some shoots I use a blow tube when required. Then it is powder, patch and ball. Very seldom if ever do I have a hang fire and can't remember the last flash in the pan but no discharge. Can't ever recall any of the dozens of books I have read of the long hunters or settlers ever doing it. So what gives?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline JohnnyFM

Re: To pick or not to pick, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 02:20:52 AM »
You allude to the answer in your own post; "quilling" and plugging the vent was to prevent it from becoming obstructed by powder.  Some older books/articles instruct the shooter to plug the vent during the loading process to prevent the charge powder from filling the vent, but as you point out, it's really not necessary.  IMO, there are a lot, a LOT, mo bedda locks and builds around these days than in the '70's -- when I first became enamored with smoke poles.  On some finicky flintlocks, I've had success using this method.  I also don't have the need to wipe between each shot but on occasion, say after 10, 15, 20 shots, I get the urge to send a wet patch down the bore, I will quill the vent.  I find this prevents the gook from clogging the vent.
I also quill the vent as an extra safety procedure as a reminder to myself and to others that my rifle gunne is loaded but not primed.

Others mileage may vary.

Best regards

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
It is my thought that the early flint locks did not have touch hole liners, just a hole bored into the breech end of the barrel at the pan.  Over time with shooting, the flash hole enlarged due to the softer steel used in fire arms of the era.  Putting a quill or pick into the touch hole prior to loading helped to keep the powder from blowing out the flash hole when the ball was seated.  This is just my reasoning for this old method.  as stated in an earlier post, it is generally not needed with today's firearms.

Turtle

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »
I started picking after a shot to replace the habit of blowing down the barrel which is banned some shoots. I have read this enlarges the touchhole, but it hasn't happened. I also always plug the touchhole when leaving the gun loaded, but un primed when hunting to keep moisture from entering.
                                                           Turtle

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »
I have used a toothpick to seal the vent while leaving a flintlock loaded during hunting season.  Between that and leaving the frizzen forward with the cock all the way closed, I feel it's safe enough to bring home for a few days, but only when I knew I would be going out to the woods again soon.

I have also used a toothpick while loading, especially on hot, humid days when things get a bit gummy at the breech.  It does help prevent misfires, IMHO.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 01:19:43 AM »
I never use a vent pick unless I get a FITP.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »
Same here Hanshi and that only happens when shooting many shots on a trail walk where a flash in the pan or misfire is meaningless. Well, not entirely meaningless as the failure to manifest the charge will definitely show if you are flinching.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »
Very true, Daryl!

On trail -walks, we often had the  group more intently watching for flinches than watching the targets!

I don't use  a pick either unless summat doesn't go off..

Offline markwi

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
Same here, only if I have to. Mark

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »
I pick right before priming. I was taught that the pick punches a channel into the compressed powder charge, thereby allowing flash into the center of the charge.  I am not sure if this is a speed or a reliability benefit. 

I think this is one of those things that Pletch could experiment with.  We never actually KNEW that NULL B or 4f was faster in the pan than 3f, but his experiments showed us.  Possibly the same thing could apply here. 

A minor side benefit of picking is that you are sure that the flash hole is clear.  Sometimes here in the south we do get gooey mess in the pan and barrel due to the weather. 

I pick with a brass or copper wire/rod.  I have a lovely blacksmith-made iron pick that is a wicked looking piece of art.  I never use it as it would be guaranteed to wallow out the flash hole. 

There are experienced folks here that I respect and appreciate who do not pick.  No arguments from me.  Y'all can tell me I have a hole in my head.  I try to do things methodically (the engineer training in me), and change my procedure when something is proven to work better.  Thus far, my rifle shoots just fine and reliably with the system taught to me. 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 12:01:46 AM »
Is there any thing negative about picking the vent other than possible early and faster vent hole erosion?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 03:48:30 AM »
Just time and energy.  If you make the pick slightly smaller than the touchhole, and make it out of copper or brass, it is hard to imagine much wear. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 03:52:46 AM »
Smylee,

I don't know of anything negative about picking the touchhole, as copper wire won't hurt anything.
In my mind though, I have a concern. unproved and untried!;
If we use a quill as some recommended years ago, leaving it in whilst we load, there is a big hole (so to speak) inside the touchhole, with nothing to ignite.
To me this sounds a poor idea, as does poking a hole in the charge, and for the same reason.

Again, never tried the difference, but in my Mind, it says negative idea!  :-)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 07:50:19 AM »
Seems to me the testing shows faster ignition with powder in and banked against the vent hole. I like that,
as that is the normal condition of my flint guns. After loading I look at the vent and there is a gain of powder in
the vent hole.
Daryl

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 03:21:47 AM »
I pick right before priming. I was taught that the pick punches a channel into the compressed powder charge, thereby allowing flash into the center of the charge.  I am not sure if this is a speed or a reliability benefit. 

I think this is one of those things that Pletch could experiment with.  We never actually KNEW that NULL B or 4f was faster in the pan than 3f, but his experiments showed us.  Possibly the same thing could apply here. 
snipped. . . . .
Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

It may be possible to run such a test, but it would not be easy.  The issue here is the size of variables that can't be eliminated.  Sometimes a first run test may show you a variable that you hadn't counted on.  If such a variable does not show itself I might luck out.
I suspect that a plan might sound like this:
Load the barrel stub that same for each trial.
Prime the pan the same way - prime against the barrel is measurably faster.
Clean the barrel, vent, and pan the same way.
The tested variable would be to run 20 trials using a vent pick vs 20 trials without picking. In essence, this tests vent pick against the method Daryl mentioned in his last post.  My untested gut says the later is faster.

The problem area, in my mind, is to be sure the barrel and vent are as clean as possible every time.  IN previous tests I wiped the barrel with a patch, changed to a different rod to try reaching into the vent cavity, and following that with a compressed air blast into the vent.  If the cleaning between shots is adequate, this may work.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 05:43:56 AM »
I pick after shot....then load up...put on 1/2 cock...pick again, prime pan ...and shoot.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
I pick after shot....then load up...put on 1/2 cock...pick again, prime pan ...and shoot.

As with many things in this great hobby, Nessmuck, Does this make it right or wrong?  :-)

Not trying to be facetious, but some do, and some don't and it all works and everyone is happy with what they do or don't.
It is interesting, and I've learned a few things in this thread, like powder piled against barrel is (reputedly )faster, when I had read time and again that prime away from touchhole was the best.  Still all flintlocks are slow compared to a matchlock.........................LOL!!!!!

Very best,
Richard.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 08:23:03 PM »
Yet another variation:

I have a matchlock with a vent that a circus clown could crawl through, so I leave a copper pick in the vent during loading. Otherwise I get a whoosh of 3F powder against my leg as I ram down the charge. I pull the pick, prime a bit too much, and then give the gun a shuck to one side. This sloshes a little 4F into the vent. Nearly instant ignition.

Your mileage may vary.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »
Note to self: do not stand to the right of Canute when he’s firing his matchlock.

Back to topic, on Saturday after 20 shots I got a flash in the pan and noted the vent was very crusty. Picked it with a sharpened twig and good to go. So I guess I pick when I get a flash in the pan.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bgf

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 11:53:11 PM »
Shooting chunk (and some table) matches with a flintlock, I pick every time before priming, bank powder against vent and -- if it's day where problems are likely or already showing up, I shove primer into the hole with the pick.  Part of this routine is due to my preference for the smallest useable touch hole.  I can't prove it but that seems to improve my groups.  The "fusing" theory is bogus in my experience.

Offhand I do the same thing, but not as religiously....my offhand rifle gets the old touch hole liners from my chunk barrels, when they've opened to ~1/16", so the vent clears itself almost reliably. 

Just what I do, but keep in mind I change touch holes pretty frequently, so the wear from picking is not a huge issue.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 01:32:17 AM »
The question about priming location in the pan may have a bearing on the vent picking decision.  The link below addresses the issue of priming location.  This was an involved group of experiments, and the link is an introduction to the 6 phases. Part 3 gives visual evidence about banking powder against the barrel.  Later tests give statistical evidence.

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/pan-vent-experiments-an-introduction/

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 04:20:16 AM »
Larry,

These tests were all very interesting!
I for one had been told years ago that banked away was best.  Good to see the actual evidence to the contrary.

Whilst looking at these tests, my mind kept wandering to the late English locks, with Vee-shaped and "U" shaped pans, and the reasoning behind them.  It seems the pan -cover  had an adage on the under-side that kept the powder close, but not over the touchhole.  (A lip often fitted that did not permit powder Quite up to the touchhole)
I think maybe they knew some things we are just finding out!

FWIW,  decades ago I made such a piece and soldered it onto the lower side of the pan cover, it allowed prime very close but not covering the touchhole no matter how the gun was moved about or rotated.     It worked well enough, but as you have demonstrated in these tests, no human can Really tell the difference!
  Lock geometry and steel temper could possibly have more effect , good or bad, than touchhole placement.

Thank you again for linking these tests for us Larry.

Best,
R.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 01:22:39 AM »
I tend to load with the frizzed closed and at half cock as I have found some FFFg finishes up in the pan then I don't have to prime.  I do not do this at the range, just at home or when hunting. Only use a pick when I get a flash in the pan, which seem for me to be ver rare. British army loading drill you primed your musket from the cartridge, closed the pan and at half cock before loading the cartridge down the barrel. I guess the vent liner in my rifle must be quite large for main charge to finish up in the pan, it is a .40.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »
If the vent is much larger than 1/16", Gordon, the pan will oft-times self-prime with 3F is using a decently snug load.

Some ranges will not allow a cock at half-bent and the frizzen closed, although this was normal procedure for about all militaries that used issue ctgs. for loading.

The feelings on this, is if the cock was to dislodge from the 1/2 bent position and drop onto the frizzen, it could possibly fire the gun while you were loading, endangering yourself and anyone

around you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:27:42 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline heelerau

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 12:55:01 AM »
Daryl, I don't disagree, and won't do it again,  just a funny quirk I discovered with this particular rifle. !
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !