Author Topic: Jacob Cooke rifle  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Dobyns

Jacob Cooke rifle
« on: September 28, 2018, 04:12:15 AM »
This rifle had been for sale at Baltimore and just recently changed hands. 

45" barrel, gently swamped 1.06"-.89"-.92" .46 caliber smoothbore.  The butt measures 4-7/8" x 1-3/4"

The maker seems a little obscure. 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 04:21:59 AM by Dobyns »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Jacob Cooke rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 04:00:23 AM »
Sellers lists 2 gunsmiths with similar names.

Jacob Cook, Lancaster, PA, 1807-1813, Foulton Co., PA, 1825.  Flintlock Kentucky and contract pistols.

Jacob Cooke, New London, VA, 1796-1800. Contract for pistols, 1807-1808, and Model 1798 contract muskets.

That's a very handsome piece in fantastic condition.  Is it yours?  Is it all original?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 04:32:55 AM »
It is mine and could stand a forend repair, but otherwise sound. 

Your references to Jacob Cook (Cooke) are some of what I've seen so far.  Apparently he was a Lancaster, Pa 'smith prior to working in Virginia and then returning to Lancaster.  I see references to his pursuing military contracts, working on inspection and proofing, and then finally getting his contract for pistols when back in Lancaster post 1800.  I'm looking at the details in this rifle and trying to discern who he might have worked with, or apprenticed with in Lancaster.

His (presumably) appearance in McConnellsburg (current day Fulton County) could explain his exit from Lancaster County.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:41:57 AM by Dobyns »

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:24:38 AM »
I recently had someone recognize this rifle and indicated where he had seen it.  The lock from this rifle is pictured on Jack Brooks' site.  A call to Mr Brooks verified that he had owned it, who he sold it to and approximately when, and even the previous owner's name.  His description matches the current condition of the rifle.  He describes the inletting and fitting as excellent, and lock original, but didn't recall any markings on the underside of the barrel.

In looking at photos and other original rifles, I can see some influences from a couple of makers.  The carving around the cheekpiece appears on an early Bonewitz, but not nearly as skillfully executed. 

WESTbury

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 05:09:27 AM »
Very nice rifle, congratulations. Thanks for sharing.