Author Topic: Ramrod Tips?  (Read 5600 times)

Offline B.Barker

Re: Ramrod Tips?
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 05:21:07 AM »
Christian Oerter made a rifle in 1773 and supplied a "ball puller" with it. Don't know what it looked like but they existed for many years.

realtorone

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 11:20:30 PM »
The Evick rifle I posted in "Antique" has a old rod with a 8 sided iron bodied #6 threaded end, but no worm. The ramming end shows a dimple where the wood contacted the ball, but no  reinforcement to prevent splitting, which happened.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »
Ball pullers and tow worms were available in the very early 1500's for sure, so old hat by the 18th century I'd say.

Very best,
Richard.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
The Evick rifle I posted in "Antique" has a old rod with a 8 sided iron bodied #6 threaded end, but no worm. The ramming end shows a dimple where the wood contacted the ball, but no  reinforcement to prevent splitting, which happened.

I see, interesting.

So, if one were to use a bare wood end to drive the ball, one can expect it to split? I was planning on doing that and having the other end, stored inside the ramrod channel, fitted with the threaded ferrules mentioned earlier to accept the period worms and ball pullers. So it isn’t a good idea, then?

Offline JW

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »
If you're using a ramin or some other mystery wood ramrod then you will eventually have trouble with the wood end of the rod. However, with a good hickory or ash or even orange osage rod they should last for a long time, indefinitely even if used properly.

I've made many ramrods - the majority of which have been tapered with a slightly swelled end. I use that end to push the ball down the bore and I try to whittle and sand down any corners so they don't chip. Some even put a slight indention on the end to sort of cup around the ball. I've done that and I think it keeps the rod from slipping when first loading if you're loading tight (I don't use short starters).

Anyhow, I've replaced non-hickory rods and a couple of hickory rods that had grain run out, but never a strait-grained hickory rod except for the one my son broke when he was using it as a sword/spear/pole vault.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 11:31:29 PM »
If you're using a ramin or some other mystery wood ramrod then you will eventually have trouble with the wood end of the rod. However, with a good hickory or ash or even orange osage rod they should last for a long time, indefinitely even if used properly.

I've made many ramrods - the majority of which have been tapered with a slightly swelled end. I use that end to push the ball down the bore and I try to whittle and sand down any corners so they don't chip. Some even put a slight indention on the end to sort of cup around the ball. I've done that and I think it keeps the rod from slipping when first loading if you're loading tight (I don't use short starters).

Anyhow, I've replaced non-hickory rods and a couple of hickory rods that had grain run out, but never a strait-grained hickory rod except for the one my son broke when he was using it as a sword/spear/pole vault.

Thanks! I’ve had good luck getting straight grained hickory rods from October Country, specifically asking for ones with no grain run out.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 05:18:43 PM »
Smokey, one old vet to another, younger, one - keep your head down and eyes open.  And don't take your muzzle loader off to Afghanistan with you!

Seriously, I am enjoying the questions that you ask, and the answers you are given.  Our hobby, or sport, can yield a lifetime of learning.  None of us know everything, but each of us can contribute to the discussion at hand.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.