Author Topic: Glueing fabric to leather  (Read 1866 times)

Offline PIKELAKE

Glueing fabric to leather
« on: March 03, 2019, 01:44:01 AM »
Sorry folks, but I have searched and searched and can not find out what kind of glue people have used to line shooting pouches. I wrote it down once and can't find that paper. I went thru the search function, archives, (etc). Could find nothing. Thanks for any help.    JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Glueing fabric to leather
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:31:30 AM »
I use 3M Super 77 adhesive  for glueing leather and fabric for sewing.   It is quick and clean and doesn't soak in too much.  It isn't all that permanent, but it is good for assembly and sewing.  Other people just use white glue.    The white glue will dissolve in water and vinegar.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 03:48:17 AM »
Good ol' yellow contact cement.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 05:56:08 AM »
Thanks folks. I thought about different glues, but didn't want to use something that would soak thru the material real bad.   Thanks again .....JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline R.I.J.

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
I have used the 3M spray adhesive with good results. It does not soak thru the fabric nor does it dry stiff and hard. Some other cements make stitching more difficult. Beware of overspray....don't ask how I know.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
I have used a fabric glue from craft supply section of the hobby or fabric store. It doesn’t soak through the fabric. I think it was called tacky glue.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »
For what it's worth, I don't glue the linen to the leather, as it seems to make the bag stiffer than I want.  just sew it up keeping the bits straight.

The odd stitch can be put in here and there to hold it, and pulled out as we sew up to it.   
Just another alternative, and not saying better, only different.  :-)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 11:21:13 PM »
I will second not using contact cement on the cloth.  It soaks right through, and looks knappy when done. 
 The spray adhesive works okay.  Don't rely on it to hold the cloth to the leather.  Just rely on it to tack the cloth there while you are sewing.  The sewing is what really retains it. God Bless,   Marc 

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 01:54:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for the ideas.       JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 03:29:02 AM »
Part of the trick in adding a textile lining to your bag is to keep the selection light enough in weight that it does not decrease the subtleness of your leather.....  or on the other hand use a fabric which is "stiff" enough to control the subtleness of the leather.

I like working with canvas since wife and I were in that business for some time.  One can control the material by using different weights as well as lining.

If you want to "stiffen" the leather use a white waterproof glue and roll it onto the leather area in a very thin, repeat VERY thin layer.  then place the fabric over the leather and use a roller to smooth things out.  This will create a strong fixture that may well (depending on the thickness of you fabric choice) decrease the flexibility of the leather....  Do some test pieces to see what you get.

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 09:16:05 PM »
Ken Scott used good ol white glue (Elmer’s) in his bag making video

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 01:35:45 AM »
Yes, but Ken Scott also soaks his leather completely when done, and he says that washes the white glue out.  Otherwise, it would surely be "crunchy stiff".  I do not follow Mr Scott's method of bag making.  More than one way to skin a cat.  Your mileage may vary.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 01:39:41 AM »
Kind of an EDIT on my previous post.....

Marcruger has it right (as one would expect).  If you dont want a mess and a very difficult time sewing through layers of leather and material dont use heavy contact cement.  It will drive you nuts and eventually hurt your sewing fingers....  ask me how I know.

I like to do what I explained in my previous post, however, in the case of some textiles you need to have movement or the whole setup will be too stiff to really work with.  I tend to like working with light calf skin for bag leather.  Its soft and allows one to maneuver it while using fabric for lining.

JMHO

Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 12:34:59 PM »
That is correct, Ken Scott douses his bag in water in his video. Dousing a bag in water also helps when turning it as other professional leather workers do as well. I don’t have any personal experience using cat skin to make a bag but others mileage may vary.