Author Topic: Bean Bag  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Bean Bag
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
This is an SMR bag from one of the Bean's. I believe it's Baxter, but I'm not positive.  What is the piece on the right side of the picture attached to the bag?  It appears that the strap is attached to it in some funky way.  Is it a leather knife sheath? The webbing looks like a WWII strap. Do you think the strap is hemp or linen or nylon added later?

chemical symbol for ammonia
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:49:50 PM by Afghanvet »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Bean Bag
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
 ;) ;)....this shooting bag & gear was owned by Sam Burchfield and came to the current owner along with the Baxter Bean signed rifle,... was most likely made by Wilson or Sam Burchfield who lived in the Chestnut Flats area of Cades Cove TN,...the other object you asked about is the "cow's knee", a lock-area cover made from the hind leg knee area of an actual cow's knee to cover the flintlock from rain,... all the gear and rifle are still together,........ BTW,... the long spout on the horn is not bone or antler,.... it is a bear's pecker,... their's has a bone like a coon's does,... !!! ... regards, Cades Cove Fiddler,.....

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »
 ??? ???... I was thinking you were asking about the cow's knee,... just re-read your post and what you are asking about is a knife scabbard,... is attached  to the webbing strap with leather string lacing,... strap is heavy cotton webbing about 1 3/4" wide,.. no charge for the info in the previous post,.... regards,... CCF ...

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 11:09:18 PM »
Thank you Sir.  Do you take checks?

Offline KC

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 11:10:47 PM »
I can talk to the slaughter house and probably obtain a cow's knee to work with. The powder horn spout might be a little tougher to source.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 02:17:28 AM »
Where might one obtain a supply of bar’s members for such a spout to-day?  ???

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:54:02 AM »
Where might one obtain a supply of bar’s members for such a spout to-day?  ???

If you insist.... :P https://www.naturalexotics.com/store/c/1039-Baculum.aspx

Might also talk to your local taxidermists and butchers who handle big game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:55:28 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 03:18:36 AM »
Man,  that is being over the top historically correct.  Can’t be much of a market for peckers.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 05:02:13 AM »
I can talk to the slaughter house and probably obtain a cow's knee to work with. The powder horn spout might be a little tougher to source.
K.C.

It’s actually the hock that works best.  Back leg. 
Andover, Vermont

Joe S

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 05:12:20 PM »
Can’t be much of a market for peckers.

Google baculum for sale. You should find many sources for historically correct materials.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »
I’m surprised the Chinese don’t buy ‘em all up for “medicinal purposes “...🤷🏻‍♂️

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 04:33:45 AM »
hahahahhahahaha Way too funny Greg !!! Cant ya just get a visual, a grindin up ol brer bars ----- and a snortin it up the ol nosie !!! I cant stand it, I gotta go get a nuther beer!!1yehaa !! Dave 8) 8)

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
Dave:

You go for the beer.....  I am going for the bourbon.... LOL
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 08:05:35 PM »
I suppose afghanvet be a getting a good idea of how fast a n innocent thread can go downhill VERY fast with such a bunch of ol ya-hoos as we have here,ceptin myself, of course, I be in my own Mess !!!!
That's how young fellers learns from old guys. ahahah Have a goodun all y'all !!! Dave 8) 8)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 08:13:24 PM »
I sent my money in to join the club today. Maybe when I get the go, I can meet you there in the evenings and we can get our rifles to where we can eventually feel comfortable going after a bear pecker.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 03:34:02 AM »
Mike, you don't hafta wait for a go with us,you already passed muster. Weather be more of an issue now. Again, anytime you want to come to my place for a visit, you are most welcome. Just let me know.best regards, Dave 8) 8)

Steve Patterson

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
I personally was hesitant to look at afghanvet's "bean bag" .... but curiosity won out in the end.

Very nice pieces.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »
Fiddler,
Are the horn bands patches or just ornamental horn bands? If simply bands applied for ornament, as I suspect they are, I find them interesting in their simplicity and lack of turning as often seem on today's reproductions. Not taking anything away from today's horns - they are beautiful! I just find the simplicity of this horn very appealing and so typical of the region. A good, honest working horn!
J.B.
(an old feller from East Tn.)