Author Topic: CARPER FULL STOCK RIFLE  (Read 4042 times)

leviathan

CARPER FULL STOCK RIFLE
« on: October 02, 2018, 12:43:49 AM »
     Does anyone know where I can find pics of a full stock W. VA. Carper Rifle? I have only seen half-stocks but I have read that some full stocks were made. Some of my family were from W.Va. and I might try to build a full stock Carper.  Does anyone know how early the Carpers were making guns?  Thanks for all your help and info.! ;D

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: CARPER FULL STOCK RIFLE
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 02:05:15 AM »
The Kentucky Rifle Foundation CD "2016 An Exhibit of 24 Fine West Virginia Made Rifles and Pistols at Prickett’s Fort State Park-Volume I, Issue XI" contains at least one rifle by Joseph Carper.  Details here http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/#2016wva

I don't have this CD, but maybe someone who does will chime in about the Joseph Carper rifle on the CD.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 02:09:08 AM »
 8) 8)... fellow member in this group using the name "Carper" is a direct descendent of the Carper family of gunsmiths,... he posts a lot in the black powder shooting threads,... might send him a PM... probably can help.... He has built some fine iron Mounted rifles himself,....

Offline VP

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 03:27:07 AM »
Joseph Carper was born in 1802 so it is possible he was making rifles as early as 1825 or so.

VP

Offline Carper

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 07:12:21 AM »
Here you go. Joseph Carper ( the elder)  towards the later years of his life. 1860 ish. They cast their mounts and this rifle is 100%typical of his later work. These mounts are much heavier than what you buy today. Also the wrists are short and wide so almost no rear mounding is at the rear of the lock. The cool part about this rifle is that someone put a 1960’s Roller lock on it and it  never stopped being in use. Not a very fancy rifle but sweet none the less.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »
Nice bag & horn too.

I seen an original Carper rifle awhile back for sale.  Think it was Joseph.   Halfstock and pretty decent, had a capbox,  wanted 1500.oo for it. I do not know if he still has it.

Offline Carper

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 05:20:02 AM »
Avlrc: point him my way please. The little horn and bag were Sam Carper’s 1847-1927 the big horn was Joseph’s 1802-1880. The one with the rifle is a copy T.C. Albert made for me. Fancy Joe Carper and a floor full of a Carper half stocks.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
Nice.  Sent you a PM with contact info.

Offline bigedac

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 10:20:10 PM »
I am looking to purchase a Carper rifle, anyone who has one for sale please contact me at av1cadet@arkansas.net
Thanks,
Errol

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 11:52:54 PM »
That Roller lock may actually be original. I think Bob was making locks & triggers in the 1860s😄.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 03:08:08 AM »
One of his first, ya figure, Roger? ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 05:31:01 AM »
Could be. Likely hand filed. ;D
Roger B
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.