Author Topic: Whale oil question  (Read 3807 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Whale oil question
« on: October 02, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
What's the closest thing to whale oil out there, and where can it be gotten?

Offline 45-110

Re: Whale oil question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »
Have been told and have read that Jojoba oil is the modern replacement. Can't tell you more since I never used whale oil. I did just buy a bottle of jojoba to mix with beeswax/crisco to make up some bullet lube. So need to give that a try.
kw

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
Do not confuse whale oil with sperm whale oil aka spermaceti.  Whale oil is simply the oil rendered from whale blubber and as such is no different than any oil rendered from mammal fat.  Sperm whale oil is actually a wax found in a cavity in the head of a sperm whale and used by them for echolocation.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »
Thanks for the information, TOF.

I always wondered why the sperm whale was the species specified.
Now, Can you tell me if other whales do not have the same 'fittings' for echolocation?

ltdann

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »
After a previous discussion on sperm whale oil, I bought some jojoba oil at the grocery store...natural remedies section.  I like it.  Tightened my groups and easier to load then just about anything else I tried.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
  I always wondered why the sperm whale was the species specified.
Now, Can you tell me if other whales do not have the same 'fittings' for echolocation?

Spermaceti is a waxy substance found in the head cavities of the sperm whale. Spermaceti is created in the spermaceti organ inside the whale's head.  The sperm whale is unique in that the organ can contain as much as 500 gallons of sperm oil while other species contain far less.  Apparently this method of echolocation is used only by "toothed whales."

The spermaceti contains cetyl palmitate and I have wondered if that is why they are referred to as cetaceans.  Been too many years since I took biological nomenclature.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 06:51:30 AM »
I recently messaged Dixie Gun Works asking what was in their whale oil substitute they have for sale on their website. They replied they didn’t know and would try and find out from the maker. I haven’t heard anything back yet.

I suspect it is jojoba but who knows?

Offline Maven

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
tcgk, Here's an article for you:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission_fluid  Scroll down to "History" for an answer to your query.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »
But note that it was plain whale oil not sperm whale oil that was used in ATF, so we still do not have an answer to what is the closest modern oil to sperm whale oil.

In the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, ATF contained whale oil as a friction modifier. But since whale oil would break down at higher temperatures, cars produced in the 1970s and later would not be able to use whale oil because of the higher engine coolant temperatures employed to reduce emissions and save fuel

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maven

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 10:36:32 PM »
But Dennis, the OP'er inquired about "whale oil" not sperm whale oil  See for yourself:

"What's the closest thing to whale oil out there, and where can it be gotten?"  ...the capgunkid
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 12:21:16 AM »
Yes you are correct but I was under the impression that once T.O.F. explained the difference we were looking for a substitution for the old sperm whale oil.

Now I am curious is ATF a good substitute for sperm whale oil?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »
I don't have much to add...

But for whatever reason this topic absolutely fascinates me.

Keep it going please.

Mike

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »
I did get some "synthetic" sperm Whale oil from Dixie.  Have not tried it on patches yet.  If nothing else, I have a lamp that uses kerosene, and may try the SSWO in that. 
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
Now I am curious is ATF a good substitute for sperm whale oil?

I doubt it.  However, when sperm whale oil was outlawed GM came up with an additive.  Prior to that, SPO was used in (only) positraction differentials.  Whenever changing the gear lube, this additive was required to be added.  It came in a small bottle and was only available thru GM dealerships.  It may still be available
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 08:14:28 PM »
It is my understanding that sperm whale oil, that which comes from the head cavity, was used primarily in the manufacture of various perfumes.  The oil rendered from blubber or whale fat is simply whale oil.  Oil that is 'tried' out of the fat of other mammals makes wonderful patch lubricant.  My experience has been with oil from black bears, marmot, and neatsfoot oil.  All work well as advertised with marmot oil #1.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »
Read this link.  https://www.transmission-products.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2012_LG_Catalog.pdf

There is more in the link, but the following covers the basic.  Dexron type ATF is another substitute for whale sperm oil. 

Years ago, sperm whale oil was used as additives in virtually all lubricants because of its exceptional lubricity (wetting agent) and heat resistance. 
Sperm whale oil was so effective in ATF, that transmission fluid was generally never changed. Over 30 million pounds of sperm whale oil per year was used in lubricants alone.
In 1972, the Endangered Species Act outlawed the killing of whales and the use of whale oil.
Since no suitable replacement for whale oil was available, transmission failures skyrocketed from just under one million per year, to over eight million by 1975.
International Lubricants, Inc. (ILI) in conjunction with Dr. Philip Landis, a highly  distinguished research chemist who headed the Mobil Oil Applied Lubrication Research Group, developed and patented the first and only high-temperature sperm whale oil replacement—Synthetic Liquid Wax Ester (LXE®) Technology.
LUBEGARD’s unique synthetic LXE Technology is proven to actually outperform the sperm whale oil additives.
ILI’s ground-breaking research has led to research grants in excess of $2 million from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Department of Defense and the Soy Bean Board. The Agricultural Research and Commercialization Corporation, a division of the USDA, believed so strongly in ILI’s products and research, they had invested and owned stock in the company.
Today, LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant is the number one product used in the professional transmission rebuild industry, and the only product of its kind to be used and approved by major automobile manufacturers (OEM’s).

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
I would expect a nice fat groundhog, late to the den, would be chock full of good oil rendering fat. that fat is located around the organs inside the cavity.

The outside fat creates more grease than oil.  Do be careful with the heat - the lowest heat (double boiler) produces the best oil. With the Marmots, I just used

my Coleman stove and a pot- didn't know any better and got good usable oil/grease. Terrific patch lube and boot water proofer. Don't let the dog chew them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 02:15:43 AM »
It is my understanding that sperm whale oil, that which comes from the head cavity, was used primarily in the manufacture of various perfumes.

Taylor,

I believe you are referring to ambergris, which I think also comes from the head cavity.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Maven

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
What difference does it make? You can’t get whale oil anymore. And what is touted as an equivalent, you have no idea what’s in it. Use natural grease, and tallow, and avoid all kinds of issues.

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 03:47:08 AM »
Dave:  yes that's it! 

HH:  It's an interesting discussion without a resolution...
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »

Rendering whale blubber into oil.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »
I have been using sperm oil for lube and oiling since the late 1950's.  Nothing better.
It is like comparing apples and oranges.

I grew up in Wichita, Kans not to far from Southwst Grease and Oil.  They made refined petroulem products including ATF.
Sperm oill was the one property that allowed ATF to work.  For about $20.00 you could by a barrel of "overage".  They got railroad tank cars of sperm oil. "Overage" was the extra left in the tank and the amount  put in to adjust for spillage.  Usually you got either a 30 ga.l barrel, sometimes you got a 55 gal. barrel, depending what was left over.

Have not found a true replacement for it. 

Carney

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 12:24:42 AM »
since sperm whale oil is really a wax if i were to look for a substitute other than jojoba i might try "liquid candle".  i remember the old trannys and adding neatsfoot oil when they started slipping  and the gm additive,  .......
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 01:19:19 AM »
since sperm whale oil is really a wax if i were to look for a substitute other than jojoba i might try "liquid candle".

Wax is a chemical term.  There are many types of waxes, so don't assume that its like beeswax or candle wax.  Also, jojoba is a plant oil, not an animal oil.  It's pressed, not rendered.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson