Author Topic: Freshening a William Douglas SMR  (Read 1719 times)

Offline scottmc

Freshening a William Douglas SMR
« on: October 03, 2018, 04:20:50 AM »
Today I realized a dream come true when I obtained a signed WD rifle in pristine, unmolested condition.  I will post some pictures in the next few days but am wondering what the thoughts are on freshening the barrel out for shooting?  I want to shoot this baby and I'm sure it is in good condition to do it but will freshening it hurt the value any?  I'm not looking to increase the bore size, just clean up the rifling.  I am going to talk to Bobby Hoyt to let him look at it to make sure it can be shot but dont want to do something that could possibly hurt the value.  She's sweet but weighty.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Freshening a William Douglas SMR
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:33:18 AM »
I'd suggest shooting it first and see how it does, Scott.  Don't mess with it until you have tried it.

Best,
R.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 01:41:28 PM »
Good suggestion.  I hope to try and find a borelight small enough to see the current condition of the rifling.  It appears to be about .36 cal. So I also need to find someone with 36 jag to run a patchdown with.
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »
I just stumbled upon something interesting....i think thisrifle is the same one pictured in Jerry Nobles volume 1, page 149 book on southern rifles.  The man I got it from has been the owner for around 20 years and lives in Lancaster county, PA.  He got it from a banker in the Altoona, PA area who was a collector of Kentucky rifles back in the mid to late 90's  Originally, it was in a Jim Holley collection so if anybody has any info on when that might have been or who Jim Holley is, I'd appreciate it.  I'm trying to put together a timeline of owners to document and keep with the gun.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »
Scott,

A jag can be cut on the end of a good hardwood dowel that'll work as well as a bought one.

Best,
R.

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
I would not modify the rifle.  I have a Douglas setting in the corner and would not change it. 
                                                                                                          Roger Sells

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 01:04:36 AM »
please do not do anything to the rifle bore.a rifle like this should be left as is.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 01:34:02 AM »
After seeing the responses andtalking with Jerry Noble today, rest assured I won't do anything to the barrel.  Jerry was a big help piecing together who has owned it.  The man has a remarkable memory!
Remember Paoli!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 04:42:35 PM »
 8) 8) 8)... Jim Holley was a shooter and collector back in the 20's-40's and associate of all the boys at Friendship and other shoots,... a pioneer in M/L revival,... He is mentioned in Walter Cline's book, FoxFire 5, as well as many of the early "MuzzleBlasts" magazines,... you have found a real treasure,.... !!!! .... post some photos for us to lust over,.... !!! ..... regards,... CCF ...

Offline scottmc

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 01:32:10 AM »
CCF, Jerry Noble said almost exactly the same thing!  Believe me when I say I got lucky and it's just dumb luck how it all played out.  It wasn't like I knew what I was doing.  It was just a SMR that I've always admired and caressed every time I was in the shop which is often.  Maybe she whispered to the previous owner, "I like this guy better since he pays attention to me"😍  guns need loving, too!😁
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »
Well, I said I would post pictures of this gun but discovered yesterday in my tree stand while hunting that it is already in the library under Tennessee rifles.  So I'll give u a shot of the rear sight and what I found when I removed the barrel, that it had been shortened at some point by 1 3/8".  Lands are  very wide with narrow grooves. 

how to delete a spotify account
Remember Paoli!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 06:24:40 PM »
That style of rifling is very common on originals. Seems out of style now. On the 2 barrels I am freshing, the grooves are about 0.070”.
Andover, Vermont

Offline scottmc

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »
That's what I understand.  I've been following your thread on it.  Very interesting!
Remember Paoli!