Author Topic: Round ball in choked barrel  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Steve Collward

Round ball in choked barrel
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
Regarding shooting a round ball in a choked barrel, are there any safety concerns?
Thanks,

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Round ball in choked barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »
I would need a little more information on what type of barrel, and what type of choke. Is the barrel smooth, or rifled? Is the choke tapered, or jug.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
My customers tell me they have no problems shooting RB out of a jug choke.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »
My jug choked colerain barrel shoots ball just fine. Now understand thats a jug choke. I have zero experience with a actual taper choke barrel. I do know that colerain turkey choke barrels cannot be shot with a ball
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Online WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:10:52 PM »
Steve, my thoughts- if it goes in it will come out, if it's a twist barrel with a full choke I'd worry about building pressure as the ball enters the choked area. I'd assume it would be very tight going in then almost "free fall" as the ball is rammed to the breech with the reverse building pressures as it tries to exit.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
A tapered choke shoots fine with an undersized, unpatched ball, and a big dose of 2F.

Hungry Horse

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
Guys- Thanks for the replies thus far.
This is not my gun, but I just got more information on the barrel. It is a 44", .20 ga. Colerain barrel, turkey choke.
Thanks,
Steve

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 05:49:43 PM »
I don't think that Colerain recommends shooting round balls out of that barrel. As a matter of fact, I believe they advise against it.  That said, as someone else mentioned, if it goes in, it will come out  :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »
Regarding shooting a round ball in a choked barrel, are there any safety concerns?
Thanks,

No - not in my choked gun. It is about an improved cylinder choke.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:29:33 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

galudwig

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:43:56 PM »
My jug choked colerain barrel shoots ball just fine. Now understand thats a jug choke. I have zero experience with a actual taper choke barrel. I do know that colerain turkey choke barrels cannot be shot with a ball

This is straight from the Colerain Barrel website: :

"For many years now we have been producing turkey choke gun barrels. These barrels are for shot only due the tight restriction at the muzzle."

Go with what wattle buster says and stick with a jug choke (OR no choke) if you want to shoot both roundball and shot. Just remember that the 12L14 steel won't be to blame for a failure if you go against the barrel manufacturer's recommendation.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 12:54:07 AM »
The only problem with shooting a round ball out of a tapered choke barrel is you can’t stop people from patching the ball, or using wads. The ball must be about thirty thousandths undersized as well. Powder, ball, and a little blanket wool, or somehornets nest on top, and you’re good to go.
 I don’t have to worry about manufacturers recommendations since my  tapered  full choke 12guage is a surplus barrel I got from Numrich arms many years ago.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 03:30:31 AM »
Probably no problem with a 36 cal ball out of a 20 ga?  I'm just saying.....

galudwig

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
Probably no problem with a 36 cal ball out of a 20 ga?  I'm just saying.....

Wrap the ball in duct tape first to keep it from deforming as it travels down the barrel. I'm sure the duct tape would squeeze through a tight choke, no problem...  ;D

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 05:26:37 PM »
I thought Steve wanted an honest answer, instead of a roll call of all the comedians on the forum.

Hungry Horse

galudwig

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 01:47:05 AM »
Like most people on this forum, I'm betting Steve knows BS when he sees it...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 04:24:26 AM »
In thinking this topic over, I have to think of the 12 and 10 bore paradox rifles built in the late 1800's. This rifles were basically shotguns with rifled chokes.  They were used with both shot and slug, but mostly slug.  Many of them had up to .022" rifling depth over the last 3" of the muzzle, with very wide lands. The ball or generally VERY heavy slug, which was bore or slightly larger than bore size when started, traveled down the tube to hit the choke at the end of the bore, engaged and 'took' the rifling, was spun to stability and shot with fair accuracy up to 200yards as well.
To me, a round ball if patched or bare, that is loaded through the choke at the muzzle, must be OK to exit that same muzzle.
Perhaps Colerain has had trouble with their choked barrels and solid shot. This must then declare their barrel materials to be inferior to the English damascus barrels of the late 1800's.
This is possible.
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
I know little about a smooth bore with a ball but can say
for certain that the Alex Henry barreled Whitworth .451
I used for 11 years had a choke from the muzzle down
8 inches that was easily felt during loading.I used the
old Lyman 451112 in full weight of 485 grains,lubed and
75 grains of DuPont 3fg was the most satisfactory black powder rifle
I ever owned and it sounded like a modern breech loader when it went off.
Shooting on Bill Large's range one day Bill asked me if I had
my Model 95 and I told him it was at home and I was using the Whitworth.
Getting to the question captioned,a choke in a round ball rifle barrel works
fine.
Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »
I thought Steve wanted an honest answer, instead of a roll call of all the comedians on the forum.

Hungry Horse
We all hate having fun here, that's for sure.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
I think maybe Colerain is concerned about an obturated ball enlarging their muzzle due to the 'full' choke.

Of course, standard FULL choke is .040". It may be that in THIS barrel, do not fire solid shot, but rather have this over-choked muzzle, opened up.

It will shot shot better and "perhaps" allow you to shoot patched ball, safely.

As to patterns & degrees of choke, my improved CYLINDER tapered choke (I don't know the make) shoots modified patterns with shot. Good enough for me & it is safe with patched round balls.

Daryl

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 12:07:06 AM »
Thanks to all who have offered advice and guidance on this thread.  I've passed the information on to the owner and he is very much appreciative.