Author Topic: New .60 is done. Need help with patch lube  (Read 1353 times)

Plateboater

New .60 is done. Need help with patch lube
« on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
Team

Currently running a 1:1 water balistol with .12 patch with .530 ball for hawken.   

I now need a load and patch for the new 60 cal flint hunting load.   Going to run a .590 and have patch material.   Lube for patch is question.      What is common bore butter melted, bear fat and I here leeHigh lube out of PA that I cannot find.   
I have worked balistol from 8:1 to get to 1:1.    Jason and Rice barrels is saying melt bore butter shoot.   Taper powder charge to get results and not so much water balistol. 
Is anyone using leeHigh?    Or recommend bore butter ?   

Offline Daryl

Re: New .60 is done. Need help with patch lube
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
For target shooting, any water based "lube" will work. Experiment.

For hunting, use an oil or grease - preferably animal fats and greases - not petroleum.

Bore Butter is not a good lube as it will build up in the grooves - apparently - especially with loose loads.

It seems to cause more problems than it fixes.

Neetsfoot oil and Trackofthewolf's mink oil are both excellent hunting lubes.

.012" might make good winter-type panties - it is not of sufficient thickness to be a patch around a ball or for cleaning in my opinion.

If, however you like .012" patches, use them.

Ballistol is a water soluble oil.  If mixed with water, some guys like it as a target shooting patch lube.

Ballistol is NOT a rust preventative, not a hunting lube, even by itself - 2 close friends tried it in fairly high humidity

climate as an after cleaning oil and both ended up with rust in their bores and on the outside of the barrels.

Any product that will mix with water, will not keep water or water vapor off the steel. The result is oxidation - ie: rust.

Lehigh Valley Lube, if you can find it, is a good target shooting lube, the best commercial lube I found, for targets. 

It will evapourate from the patch over time, ie: couple days, and thus is not a good hunting lube, imho. Neetsfoot oil

or Track's Mink Oil is much better & are much longer lasting:ie: months.

Hoppe's #9 PLUS BLACK POWDER SOLVENT, is a pretty good hunting lube & is also be a good target lube.

SPIT is also a good target lube.

WWWF + a tich of neetsfoot oil is a good pre-prepped lube for target shooting and one we use as it does not freeze

due to the alcohol in the winter windshield washer fluid (-45F stuff) I have not tried the yellow or pink water repellent washer

fluid so cannot comment on their use.  Any water repelling 'stuff' will likely not soften BP fouling. Blue Thunder is the brand most of us use.
$3.00 per gallon. A gallon lasts a year or more

depending on how much you shoot.  If you insist on using a .012" patch, you are cleaning more than shooting so the gallon will last

multiple years. ???
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:37:30 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »
Is the 60 a smooth bore? Also a 12/1000 patch wont even fill the rifling groves let alone the groves and windage between ball and lands in a normal barrel. Jmho
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:44:39 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline Frank

Plateboater

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 05:32:51 AM »
Appreciate the info.   This is a 60 rifled rice barrel.   Tennessee valley built for me

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »
In a .60 rifle, I would be using a .595" pure lead ball and minimum .022" denim patch - 10 or 11 oz. - Google Joanne's fabrics in the States.

There is a .022" thick light canvas that is showing promise in my .50 with rounded grooves and a .495" pure lead ball.

For use a hardened lead ball in that .60, I would be using .590" or maybe .585" (Google Jeff Tanner Moulds) and an even thicker patch - 12 or 14oz. denim.
These heavier denims measure .025" and .030" with a tight mic, and .030" and .034" with my calipers.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:23:32 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Plateboater

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 03:43:01 AM »
Going  .590 using one of Larry’s custom should be here in less than 30 days.    Will keep everyone posted      Thanks