Author Topic: Looking for information on D. Hartkopf percussion rifle.  (Read 1183 times)

JHawes71

Looking for information on D. Hartkopf percussion rifle.
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:40 AM »
I am looking for any information on this possible maker, D. Hartkopf. I found the name hidden under the rear sight on an original 1800's period percussion halfstock rifle I have been working on. The barrel was made by J. Wilt & Co. Dayton, Ohio and is marked as such on a side flat, who only made barrels from the 1830's to 1880's. I believe the rear sight is a replacement so it wouldn't originally have covered what I assume to be the gunmakers name. Just trying to find any information, my searches have turned up nothing.  Thank you for your help in advance.

Offline OLUT

Re: Looking for information on D. Hartkopf percussion rifle.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »
In "Gun Trade in America", Noble and Moore list DANIEL HARTKOFF as being in Ralls County, Missouri in 1864 and Madison County, Missouri in 1885 ...... I bet that this is the same Daniel Hartkopf that is listed as a 45 year old  farmer in Shannon County, Missouri in  the  1860 census. You might try contacting local historical societies in Missouri to see if they have further information to assist you.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Looking for information on D. Hartkopf percussion rifle.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »
To follow up on Olut's info.

Whiskers paper back Missouri book.

Daniel Hartkopf, Gunsmith 1867, New London, Ralls County; 1885,Fredericktown, Madison County . Not located anywhere in the 1880 census.

B F Hartkopf (1850-) Gunsmith.  1880 , St Michael Madison County , born Ohio, wife Margaret.

B F might  be the Benjamin in the 1860 censuus that Olut provided.