Author Topic: Help with ID on full stock fowler  (Read 1220 times)

umc1984

Help with ID on full stock fowler
« on: October 05, 2018, 02:38:09 AM »
I recently purchased this Fowler when our local pawn shop closed. I was told it was bought in the New England area in the 1930's and brought West to Missouri to my home town.

I am looking for any information you might come up with.

It appears to be a conversion gun. The barrel is well over 40 inches long, and has a very small front sight mounted several inches from the muzzle that is kind of unusual. I have not measured the bore, but it is a little over 1/2 inch because my little finger just goes in a  little ways.

Any help would be appreciated. I've never seen a full stock smooth bore fowler type gun in this part of the country, so it is new to me.

Thanks much.

nh4 structure

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help with ID on full stock fowler
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 03:42:01 AM »
Waiting on experts but to me, it’s got a 1750-1770 English lock, might be re-stocked here given the stock styling and lack of a sideplate.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 05:07:11 AM »
It looks like it could be a trade gun. That side for the side plate maybe verniered if the light is tricking me. That front top section forward of the breach transition to the side of the fore stock along the barrel sure looks like a thin layer of wood laid over the inlet for the front lock bolt hole and side plate. Thanks for sharing the piece with us. How long is that barrel?
Dave Blaisdell

umc1984

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 04:10:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I see no sign that the gun has been verniered. The barrel is 47 inches.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
The course ingraving, and rather crude furniture, suggests either a trade gun, or an American made musket, or fowler. The forestock being cut back, could indicate it saw some military service. A check of the bare section of the barrel for remnants of a bayonet lug would be a good idea.
 The front sight being set back is pretty normal, but once again, is more common on guns designed for a bayonet.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 04:32:21 AM »
Verniered?  As in measured? ???

Did ya'll mean veneered? 

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

umc1984

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
Yes. Veneered is what I meant. Spelling is not my best subject.