Author Topic: Eyes, and other things  (Read 3852 times)

HAWKEN

Re: Eyes, and other things
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:00 PM »
I am right handed and right eye dominate but I learned to shoot left handed, as a young boy, while squirrel hunting.  At least half the time, (it seems like more), squirrels would appear on my right side,  It was either turn completely around or shoot left handed.  It was a lot less obvious and required less movement to shoot with my left hand.  robin  ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
   When I'm hunting. I put a tooth pic drop of glow paint on my front bead. It stands out like a sore thumb. Not traditional but it sure helps. Taylor an Darlys advise does make sense.
   Shot my sofa before it had a chance to charge...!  Just kidding their advise is spot on.   Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
I am right handed and right eye dominate but I learned to shoot left handed, as a young boy, while squirrel hunting.  At least half the time, (it seems like more), squirrels would appear on my right side,  It was either turn completely around or shoot left handed.  It was a lot less obvious and required less movement to shoot with my left hand.  robin  ;)

You find this out quickly if shooting snowshoe hares in March, when you have to wear snow shoes yourself.  Seeing a bunny on your right side, makes you take the shot left handed, or simply spook the bunny if you try to turn. With the deep white snow camouflaging the white bunnies, you see them be catching a tiny bit of movement or seeing their little black eye-ball.

After you see the eye-ball, you can then make out the rest of the hare, oft times siting with a birch tree behind him.  Since you stopped, if you move again to maneuver around to shoot right handed, the bunny will generally run away.  If you just switch hands and shoot with your wrong side, you can kill him - practice on the range certainly helps.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

rfd

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 11:29:50 PM »
most everyone gets cataracts sooner than later.  that's the prime issue seeing gun sights.  getting that fixed these dayze is easy and medicare and most plans pay for it.  i had mine done in may of this year and i shudda got it done a decade or so ago, because after the first eye was done it was like seeing a whole new world, the difference was that great.  the op is a piece of cake and my 72yo eyeball lenses got swapped out for a pair of implanted acrylics that are perfectly good for life.  amazing difference.  there is no need to put up with the blurriness of cataracts, not in this millennium.  don't wait, no need to complain about gun sight issues, y'all have had a cure that's been around for years.

Offline alacran

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
Ditto that RFD
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 10:14:27 PM »
No cataracts that could be repaired - I just don't see sights well. My spectacles give me 20/15 for distance.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V