Author Topic: Wire and Carving courses at Friendship 2018  (Read 939 times)

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Wire and Carving courses at Friendship 2018
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »
Silver wire and relief carving courses at Friendship Sept, 2018.  Despite  the rain/flood the new education building at the NMLRA grounds was high and dry!   Each course was restricted to 2.5 days and both were a resounding success in that each student was able to take home completed project and in some cases two projects!  There were 5 students in the wire class and 9 students in the carving class.  I could not have asked for 14 nicer guys to work with!                                             These courses will continue next year - same location and time of year , with each one being 5 days long.  We will do a more in depth examination of "classic" art form,  new techniques for installing wire on a convex surface and the use of variable thickness of wire.  In the carving class we will also work with convex surfaces and discover new techniques to give more depth to more detailed relief carving.                                                                                                                                  Below are some photos of this year's classes:        Hugh Toenjes

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:59:26 PM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Wire and Carving courses at Friendship 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
Looks like you had a great class there, Hugh!  Thanks for the photos.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
Thanks Curtis: Thanks for your comment.   The courses were excellent in terms of instruction being offered and considering we only had 2.5 days for each class.  The students were a great bunch of guys! The classroom has been promised for an "upgrade" esp. for lighting at each bench. But in spite of some indificienncies everyone left with a finished project and some new techniques learned.      Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 05:47:15 AM »
I would like to thank Hugh and the NMLRA for stepping up and offering these classes at Friendship last month. We had a great group of guys and even greater instructor! We all learned together and helped each other so all completed their projects to take home for study and reflection. The flood tried to slow us but thank goodness the education building was on high ground and the water went down rapidly so as to not affect the class. We learned wonderful new tools and techniques to take home and apply to our own longrifle projects. We learned also to, "say no to elbows" and how to anchor our classic wire designs so they should never pop out - even in a hundred years! In the carving class we learned how to work with the wood and not against it. We experimented with a variety of stains and finishing methods. In the end most of us took copious notes because after all, Hugh will attest to the fact that all of us, including him, realized we all suffer from those dreaded conditions better know as CSS and CRS! Hugh thanks for all the knowledge you shared with us and making it fun for all.
elkhorne

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »
Elkhorne:  Thanks so much - I really appreciate those words!  Next year will be even better!    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.