Author Topic: Newbie seeking advice  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Obi2winky

Newbie seeking advice
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »
Hello evryone,

I’ve been interested in building an American long rifle for a while now, and am wondering how does one get started? I have no woodworking background. I’ve read the 117 page pdf from this forum on the steps to building one. Extremely well written with easy to understand steps  but it seemed like it assumes basic skills and knowledge. I  wasn’t sure how an absolute complete novice begins to learn the skills necessary. I would have to purchase a set of tools for it also. Any advice to get a complete newbie started on the road to a first rifle would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Frank

Re: Newbie seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:08:23 PM »
Get one of Jim KIbler's kits. Like putting legos together.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:12:53 PM »
Many gun builders started when they were little kids- building swords as well as bows and arrows, ships, airplanes, and etc.

Some, like brother Taylor, developed into building guns from age 16 onward.

Others like myself, simply shoot guns built by others, as I quickly recognized (by age 25?) my lack of skill at building ML's but really enjoy shooting them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:33:34 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline frizzen3

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »
Where are you located?          Frizzen3

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »
I’m in Ma

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »
What part of MA? I’m in Holliston, you are welcome to stop by and see what this is all about.....

Jon

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »
Hi Jon, I’m right off 495  exit 27! Appreciate the invitation,
Will send you a PM

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:23:45 AM »
Welcome, Obi2winky.  Getting started is a good question.  When I started, I started where most don't, though I had helped friends in my teens who were putting cheap kits together for deer season.  As others have suggested, kits are a good place to start.  The first rifle I actually built though, was not a kit, but just components.  The great advantage to a kit is you have all parts picked for you, much of the woodworking done, and a set of instructions.  If you have any doubt about your skills, go with a kit.  I would rather see you have a functional gun than getting discouraged and never completing one.  But it depends on your skillset and determination too.  I have seen some beautiful rifles made from kits, with a little extra work.

However, if you choose to build one of your own design, you will need to come up with a plan, accumulate the necessary parts or make them yourself, and get a block of wood to carve into a stock.  My point is, you need to assess your own skills, and what your goal is.  Do you have strong woodworking and metalworking skills?  Then maybe you want to take my approach with my first.  If not, maybe a kit would be better for you.  I have a forge, and could easily make my own locks, but working alone, it would be difficult for me to make my own barrels.  Just depends on your situation.  I wish you luck with your build, and you know where to come when you hit a roadblock, which I am sure will happen as a new builder.  I just wish I had this resource available 24 years ago when I built my first. 

M. E. Pering

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 04:42:36 AM »
Thank you all for the advice! I was planning to start with a kit for sure, but wasn't sure if I start with a cheap Lyman kit or something "proper" like the Kimbler kit like Frank suggested. I have not tried any wood working or metal working. So I was wondering if people started out by buying a decent set of chisels and just practiced on something cheap before they attempt a real rifle. Btw, what tools do I need to get started? any brands recommended?

Offline retired fella

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 05:38:57 AM »
I would suggest that you start with a good quality kit.  The most important tool you already have, your computer.  There a number of tutorials on this site to help you along and what tools you will need.  I believe that you will be well pleased with your rifle and yourself.  Good luck pilgrim.  I know that you will enjoy the journey.

Offline little joe

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 06:16:59 AM »
Obi2  Lot of info here that we did not have when I started (1972) Computer age has helped us a lot. Good luck.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
Obi, everyone has to start somewhere!  And you have selected a great forum for learning.

With any kit, you will need a few tools to get started.  Even with Jim Kibler's fantastic kits, you will need some.  And chisels - or any edged tool - needs to be "scary sharp".  There are tutorials for sharpening and honing.

Biggest thing, and most important, is a willingness to learn.  You WILL make mistakes - don't let them get you down.  Learn from the mistakes.  Most any mistake to do with our avocation can be remedied, but I will caution you to be safe!  If you hurt or injure yourself, that might be a bit harder to get through!  So no chopping off hands, heads, or feet!  And when you finish, that muzzle loader is just as lethal as the latest and greatest firearm, so always stick with gun safety rules.

Welcome to the forum - and enjoy as you progress through making your own ML - tons of fun right down the road.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
I would suggest that you sign up for one or two of the longrifle building classes given at different locations around the US. This way you get hands-on teaching and see how a longrifle is built by someone that knows how to build one. Book are great also but it is best that you get hands-on especially if you do not have much wood or metal working knowledge. A Kimber Kit is a great way to start but you do need some guidance from a good teacher.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 04:40:38 AM »
appreciate the advice and encouragement!
I watched a ton of Mike Beliveau videos and am starting to get an idea for the tools. Regarding classes, I saw the sticky on the forum about a Jaeger making class but I guess that's already too late for this year. Where do I find out about future classes?

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 06:00:13 AM »
Kingsburyarms showed me a Jim Kibler kit today and I think I need to try it out before I try anything more "involved". I went to his website and I saw a few choices that I have to make.

In terms of square vs round bottom rifling, it seems like the consensus of the forum is that the money is better spent on the stock upgrade.

What's the main practical difference between a stainless steel vs carbon steel? Is one recommended over the other?

between the calibers available (50, 54, 58), any recommendations? I don't hunt so that's not really a factor. Ease of aiming and shooting would probably be more of a factor. If they're all about the same, 54 has the shortest wait time.

thanks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:06:34 AM by Obi2winky »

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 07:19:27 AM »
Obi2winky:

OK, based on your last post you are already getting drawn into the riff of comments.... based on what... others opinions or comments.

#1. Get the kit... #2 get sq bottom rifling, #3 spend the saved money on better wood, #4 what brought stainless steel into this conversation..... #5 as to caliber... what are you going to do with the rifle... deer hunting..... my comment would be .54 with a 1:66 twist.  That's because that is what I shoot and have for about 40 years......#6 make sure you have a good lock

Just the thoughts of an old guy
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
The best advice I ever got was from Tallbear; take a class.  Look at th NMLRA classes or the kit building class that Barbie Chambers offers in May. Best investment you will ever make.
Jeff

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 05:49:13 AM »
I honestly would love to take a class. I checked that dates and I have a few personal obligation around that time to make enrollment very unlikely at least for this year. :(

in terms of types of wood, what are differences? Mr. Kibler offers 3 grades of maple, walnut, and cherry.
**edit** Some diligent forum searching revealed some good info. Since my wife is allergic to so many things that I sometimes wonder if she belongs on earth, I'm going to avoid walnut to be safe. And I guess dark stain's tend to not bring out cherry very well, and I may prefer dark so I'm left with maple. Let me know if my understand is off. thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:29:38 AM by Obi2winky »

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 06:48:11 AM »
Obi2winky, all of those woods are period correct, but myself, I would start with sugar maple.  my second choice would be cherry, and lastly walnut.  The reason I would go with maple first, is because, though it is hard, it is less likely to split or fracture.  It also can be intricately carved, and it's color allows you to see it very well when working on it.  And though it can internal stresses, those stresses are not as likely as cherry or walnut, in my experience.  I once carved a piece of cherry which bowed once it got thin from hacking on it, so it would not be my first choice.  Walnut is a beautiful wood, but if you intend relief carving, remember it can be very chippy.  Also, the open pores of walnut require some special treatment, usually.

I am sure some here will disagree with my assertions, but they are my experience, and are what they are.

M. E. Pering

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
If you're in a rush, you're sure to make mistakes in your decisions.

Forget you ever heard the word "stainless" (but for a touch hole liner).

Forget about saving/making time, that's pretty much a function of how much you can/care to spend. Some inquiries to building start only because a man feels he can best afford what he wants that way.  But in the end. Can he? Totally a function of his hand-skills and/or ability to outsource the work as needed.

Have you any metal or wood working, with hand tools, experience?  If not.  Get some scrap steel and get some scrap HARDwood and rustle up some tools, learn to sharpen and maintain those tools and to use them with skill.
(edited because sometimes I miss details)

I get tools from the junk/antique shop but that I have to know the tools and how to refurbish them to get best satisfaction.  There are lots of tool groups where folks sell good used planes and chisels and rasps and such.  Exactly what tools you'll need/use depends on what level of construction you attempt. There are good/fair quality new tools out there, but they tend be expensive. Cheap modern tools are usually best avoided, but some can be employed without too much grief.

Exception to my "hardwood" note above.  You might (as I did) build a mockup of construction grade woods for try-fit of pull and drop and all for your first one.  But don't sweat those details too much most standard patters fit most standard peeps.

Then consider which kit you might like, or a plank build, or to buy a ready-made custom gun-used or new.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:52:23 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline BJH

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
Although I’ve never put one of Jim Kiblers kit together, after seeing his videos on putting one of his kits together I’d definitely endorse one of his kits for a beginner. I think he has a suggested tool selection list available. I wish when I started building guns near thirty years ago kits this nice were available. But then again maybe not as I wouldn’t have learned as much. BJH
BJH

Cuboodle

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 05:05:27 AM »
The invite you got... take him up on it! Also the advise on a kibler kit is great. I've built a few kits jims kiblers kits and videos will be sure to steer you in the right direction. I've never built one of his kits I've built several chambers kits birth are top notch and you have this forum to lean on to help you along the way regardless. Welcome to the finest bunch of guys and gals (Barbie Chambers) on the net..