Author Topic: Flint pistol rebuild  (Read 830 times)

Davemuzz

Flint pistol rebuild
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »
Well, now that I have my first flintlock long rifle build under my belt, I think it may be time to re-visit my very first flintlock build.....that being my flint pistol that I cobbled together back in 2010. Looking at that pistol now it's simply fat....not so pretty inlays.....yet very functional. Kind of like an old girlfriend of......oh....never mind.  8)

This needs slimed down a lot. The side plate inlays are horrible as is the lock plate inlay. From some preliminary measurements, I have some "room" to slim the sideplates down some more. Also, I know that the lock plate side finial's are much to long. I also know that on the lock plate side, the wood cracked during my build and I inserted two pins to hold it.....thus necessitating the long front finial....or at least at the time that's what my thinking was.

I figure if bringing back the finial, I run into the cracks and\or pins, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I still have a few pieces of the original walnut in my "bin".

In any event, if you have any comments that would help, post away!!

Thanks

Dave

n stephenson

Re: Flint pistol rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:40:24 PM »
Dave, sounds like you have pretty much diagnosed , what you need to do. Mostly just "fat" removal . Looks like it has the makings of a nice piece. I might add that when you redo the front end, try rounding it more, less "slab" sided.  Also , take the sides down some , exposing more of the barrel and ramrod .Make your lock and side panels , much smaller , closer to the shape of the lock plate . I do applaud your effort to go back and redo this into something better. So many times builders , get this sentimental attachment to a first build and are reluctant to go back and change it. Good luck , and keep us posted.  Nate
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 05:44:04 PM by n stephenson »