Author Topic: New museum of the SC Historical Society  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
New museum of the SC Historical Society
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:32 AM »
I just read in the Wall Street Journal that the  SC Historical Sociy has opened a new museum. One thing that caught my eye was they had a powder horn that belonged to the Swamp Fox Francis Mation. I was wondering if anyone here had toured this museum and if so were there any Rev War rifles on display.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BOB HILL

Re: New museum of the SC Historical Society
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 03:56:34 PM »
Mr. Dennis my son, Walter, is the director of the Horry County Museum in Conway. He is invited to the grand opening of this museum. He said he will check it out for us. Maybe I can check it out myself after the fair.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rtadams

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:33:54 PM »
10-12-18

Dennis,

Where is the new museum located?

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:36:11 PM »
Robert,
The article did not give the location, thought that strange, but I googled SC Historical Society and got this website which shows a museum: https://schistory.org/ I assume its the one discussed in the article but I would call them first to make sure. Ask if they are the ones with the Francis Marion powder horn.

Robert,
Hope to see you at the NC fair, we are planning on attending. Just hope my old legs hold out all day walking!

For all you NC area residents the NC state Fair started yesterday and ends 10/21/18. Free for seniors and WELL worth attending. If you go be sure and stop by and see Bob Hill in the Village of Yesterday building (Bob's the senior attraction there ;D ;D). Take a look at some of his guns and maybe ever get to see him do some rifle work!

Take care,
Dennis
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:41:20 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »
This gallery includes an interactive digital map table, allowing visitors a hands-on opportunity to explore South Carolina in the late 1700s. There are also personal items from prominent figures, including Francis Marion’s powder horn; a letter from George Washington to Governor William Moultrie; and a reproduction of Charleston’s slave auction flag.

Planning your visit to the Museum?
We are located near several public garages. Metered parking can also be found on the surrounding blocks.
The entrance to the museum is located on Meeting Street next to Washington Square.
Wheelchair access is available through the Meeting Street entrance. Both floors of the museum are accessible by elevator.
MUSEUM ADDRESS
100 Meeting St.
Charleston, SC 29401

MUSEUM HOURS
Tuesday - Saturday 10 AM - 4 PM
Sunday 1 PM-4 PM
Last admission is 3:15 PM

https://schistory.org/museum/

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

realtorone

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
Dr.Boone  Is the location the old slave market? I was stationed at Charleston AFB 58-61 and did a lot of exploring all around that part of S.C. I'm sure it has changed a lot.
Thanks in advance

George Hebling